unstyled JDA cam shaft removal

jdbdave

Hi all I need some help, I am restoring a 38 A and need to remove the cam shaft. Ive done a number of newer 2 cyl deeres and not had this problem.
The cam runs on roller bearings . I have loosened the gear from the cam but cannot pull the cam out as the gear will not pass the roller bearing. Is there a procedure to pull the bearing while its still in the engine?

Put some heat on it and use a pry bar to try and move it. Most likely it will break so plan on getting a new one. If it does break it should slide into the gear to get it out.

MSD alluded to it. If you are going to replace the bearing anyway, you can just break it (good chance it will come apart anyway if you try and put a puller on it). If I remember correctly, the gear will clear the inner race. After the gear is off then you can heat, cut, weld on, or whatever your choice is for removing sticky races.

I will add. When I put mine back together I "polished" the cam surface where the bearing presses on. Made putting it on a lot easier, and if it ever has to come out again it might actually come apart.

Hi all I need some help, I am restoring a 38 A and need to remove the cam shaft. Ive done a number of newer 2 cyl deeres and not had this problem.
The cam runs on roller bearings . I have loosened the gear from the cam but cannot pull the cam out as the gear will not pass the roller bearing. Is there a procedure to pull the bearing while its still in the engine?
It's been 28 years since I did my 38 A, but my cam came out without removing the gear and bearing. My crankcase was completely stripped down and the cam was the last to come out. With the left bearing housing and spring on the right removed, I seem to recall there was enough room to somehow drop the cam out with the gear and bearing on and then reinstall the same way when it was ready to go back together.

It's been 28 years since I did my 38 A, but my cam came out without removing the gear and bearing. My crankcase was completely stripped down and the cam was the last to come out. With the left bearing housing and spring on the right removed, I seem to recall there was enough room to somehow drop the cam out with the gear and bearing on and then reinstall the same way when it was ready to go back together.
Thanks ill remove the crank and see if that helps.
Dave

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back