What am l missing

Just picked up a 47 farmall h sitting in a barn for several years ,still 6 volt starter will not turn motor over ,can spin motor by hand with no problem,took starter apart and replaced the brushes everything tested fine reassembled bench test works good reinstall on motor same problem, tried 12 volts got a little bit of turnover, removed all the plugs works on 12 volt good a little slow on 6 volt ,
put the plugs back in and will not turn over ,ordered a new starter and the same thing will turn over once with the plugs and will spin freely with the plugs removed What am I missing?

Just picked up a 47 farmall h sitting in a barn for several years ,still 6 volt starter will not turn motor over ,can spin motor by hand with no problem,took starter apart and replaced the brushes everything tested fine reassembled bench test works good reinstall on motor same problem, tried 12 volts got a little bit of turnover, removed all the plugs works on 12 volt good a little slow on 6 volt ,
put the plugs back in and will not turn over ,ordered a new starter and the same thing will turn over once with the plugs and will spin freely with the plugs removed What am I missing?
Ring gear tight to flywheel or just free to spin on it?

Are the starter bushings in good shape? Worn bushings allow the rotor to grind against the outer windings, slowing it way down. steve

All the valves working as should? Will it roll freely if towed/pushed? Just some ideas. Paul

Do you mean the starter gear? No not binding
Hello OTM, welcome to YT!
JMOR, is asking if the ring gear is tight to the flywheel. It’s rare but they can split and then the press fit is lost and it will just spin. If you were brave enough to tear down the starter I suppose you have enough experience with engines/tractors to have a idea what the starter would sound like if it was spinning the ring gear on the flywheel. However, YouTube tends to raise the bravery level in some folks. Pull the starter out and try to turn the engine prying against the ring gear teeth with a large screwdriver, see if it just turns the gear on the flywheel.
What kind of a jump box you using? It may not support the load by itself.
Try jumping right to the starter off a know good 12 volt battery (one in a working vehicle) with a good set of heavy jumper cables.
By your wording here I don’t think this is the case but just checking. By chance by “turnover” are we correct in assuming that you mean only the act of the engine turning? Some guys come on here and use “turnover” as meaning the engine has started (or will not) and is running on its own power.(odd to me but must be used in some areas) Are we correct if we understand you are using the first meaning, engine turning only?

Last edited:
Did you try jacking up the radiator cap and driving a new Farmall under it?:LOL: That means I'm out of ideas, too. Did you look over the ring gear teeth with the starter out. Sounds like an obstruction in the teeth. steve
Stevie, I’ll have to watch your posts closer. I don’t remember ever seeing you try to slip in some humor. :)

Since you're positive engine is free and cables are bypassed I think you need to check for rat nests. Pull the muffler and check there. Then pull the clutch cover and check in there. If no joy it's something in the transmission (probably rust and tar) or the hydraulics is building too much pressure to quick. If it's not the engine it has to be something behind it. JMO

put the plugs back in and will not turn over ,ordered a new starter and the same thing will turn over once with the plugs and will spin freely with the plugs removed What am I

I'm taking a shot in the dark here. somebody will correct me if I am out to lunch. would rusted shut valves cause such. reason I wonder is you take the plugs out and engine spins easy. That means it is not because of a hyd pump or anything in transmission. If the exhaust valves are rusted shut after on round you have to many cylinders with compression? like I say just wild thoughts here.

Hello OMT, welcome to YT!
JMOR, is asking if the ring gear is tight to the flywheel. It’s rare but they can split and then the press fit is lost and it will just spin. If you were brave enough to tear down the starter I suppose you have enough experience with engines/tractors to have a idea what the starter would sound like if it was spinning the ring gear on the flywheel. However, YouTube tends to raise the bravery level in some folks. Pull the starter out and try to turn the engine prying against the ring gear teeth with a large screwdriver, see if it just turns the gear on the flywheel.
What kind of a jump box you using? It may not support the load by itself.
Try jumping right to the starter off a know good 12 volt battery (one in a working vehicle) with a good set of heavy jumper cables.
By your wording here I don’t think this is the case but just checking. By chance by “turnover” are we correct in assuming that you mean only the act of the engine turning? Some guys come on here and use “turnover” as meaning the engine has started (or will not) and is running on its own power.(odd to me but must be used in some areas) Are we correct if we understand you are using the first meaning, engine turning only?

I'm taking a shot in the dark here. somebody will correct me if I am out to lunch. would rusted shut valves cause such. reason I wonder is you take the plugs out and engine spins easy. That means it is not because of a hyd pump or anything in transmission. If the exhaust valves are rusted shut after on round you have to many cylinders with compression? like I say just wild thoughts here.
It should still turn the engine regardless how many cylinders are on compression, in particularly a 6 volt starter being operated on 12 volts.

No wording in your reply. (#16) You can add what you want to by the “Edit” feature below the quote of my post. If posting on a phone the 3 dots to the right of Report gives you the edit feature.

Last edited:
Can you contact the previous owner to see if they had the same problem? Of all my years around this stuff I have never seen a ring gear come loose, but I guess it could happen. Stan

When the ring gear engages flywheel motor appears locked up or my make an attempt to turn the engine,take the spark plugs out and turns over the motor normally,purchased a new starter thinking the old one may just be weak but new or old same problem ,I can grab the fan and turn the motor over with one hand and also can see the flywheel spin I seen one reply about a stuck exhaust valve ,time to remove valve cover ,I have been using a 12 volt battery to the starter

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back