What happened?

I just uploaded one to a TEST post, no problem. Properties showed as 2MB on my computer.
Soooo, how do I find out what size mine are?? Loaded fine a couple weeks ago from the same laptop and same phone. And how the heck would you change it. Have been putting pictures on YT for 12 years without a problem till today.

Soooo, how do I find out what size mine are?? Loaded fine a couple weeks ago from the same laptop and same phone. And how the heck would you change it. Have been putting pictures on YT for 12 years without a problem till today.
On my computer I can right click on a picture and get a drop-down list that has properties as a selection on the bottom of the list. Clicking that gives me info about the picture including size. I can't say how you can find that info on your computer or phone

If you have been successfully posting prior to this, there may be a temporary issue with your internet provider. Go to the test forum and try posting a picture you have successfully posted before and see what happens.

Are you using the attach Files button in the lower left corner of the text box or the picture icon at the top? If you are using the Attach files button, did you click on Insert and select Thumbnail or Fullsize? Try thumbnail, it takes up less space and people see it full size when they click on it.

It's been my experience that since we fixed the size issue on here a couple of weeks ago, it takes much larger photos than the old system and it's not as picky as the old system concerning the filename. After the last change I've heard no problems with photos. Are you dragging and dropping them into the window or pressing the Attach Photos?

I've tested up to 4.8MB without problem this morning. I don't have anything larger to try other than an 7.8MB photo which was too large. I expect the limit is at 7MB or so. It was set to try and be like the old system.

I've tested up to 4.8MB without problem this morning. I don't have anything larger to try other than an 7.8MB photo which was too large. I expect the limit is at 7MB or so. It was set to try and be like the old system.
I just uploaded a 6.27 MB to the Test Forum

With the new system I could load pictures biff, bam, pow. Now none of the thousand pictures on the laptop or my phone load...did I miss something?
Think I found the problem...YT must have size limits on pictures now and did not before. Pictures in my laptop range in size from 3.8 to 8.8 on pictures taken at the same time. So the smaller ones will load and the bigger ones won't, even though they were taken at the same time. Have to check each before posting and figure out how to re-size. Thanks for the help.

Think I found the problem...YT must have size limits on pictures now and did not before. Pictures in my laptop range in size from 3.8 to 8.8 on pictures taken at the same time. So the smaller ones will load and the bigger ones won't, even though they were taken at the same time. Have to check each before posting and figure out how to re-size. Thanks for the help.
Size limits are not new. The limit with the old software was about 7MB, and in discussions above in this thread and the thread "Question for Chris", we proved it to be about 7MB on this software yesterday.

Jim is correct, We are matching the photo size on the old server.

If your camera is taking over 4 or 5 mb photos, it's an easy fix lower the resolution it uses by default. Phone cameras have excessively high resolution that almost no one will be able to take advantage of, certainly not on the net without creating multipage photos. No matter where you go, webpages, email etc, such photos have to be downsized on the fly which wastes your time and bandwidth. I have a post further down that gives an explanation of why cameras come from the factory set up with such absurd photo resolution.

Size limits are not new. The limit with the old software was about 7MB, and in discussions above in this thread and the thread "Question for Chris", we proved it to be about 7MB on this software yesterday.
Old limits must have been higher than 7MB as I have posted some of these pictures on the old format and the new. Some of them were 8.8 that were posted earlier in the week. The change must have come in the last few days. What I don't understand is that pictures taken within seconds of each other go from 3.8 MB to 8.8MB instead of all being close to the same.

Old limits must have been higher than 7MB as I have posted some of these pictures on the old format and the new. Some of them were 8.8 that were posted earlier in the week. The change must have come in the last few days. What I don't understand is that pictures taken within seconds of each other go from 3.8 MB to 8.8MB instead of all being close to the same.
There is a possibility of getting a photo in much larger than 7MB. If you look at the other thread here with Absent Minded Farmer. He is managing to get in very large photos (13.3MB) and jonofnewhaven also got in one that is 10+MB. I'm trying to figure that out because it technically should not happen. My current thoughts (untested) are that pressing the "Attach files" button is not the same as clicking the icon for "Insert Image". One may be using an addon we installed to handle large photos, and the other may not be and is using the default size specification.

I've not yet played around with that to know how this is possible (since the server has a hard limit set of 7MB right now).

Normally you would never want to intentionally upload a file that size. There are applications, such as the post AMF is referring to where he was showing a highly detailed and massive city layout photo from the 60s. In that case, the photo has to be much larger than can fit on the screen, in a post or in the photo browser, so it goes into a separate page (which normally is undesirable since you want the photo to be part of your post) via a link. In other words, with that, you want the photo to be in a separate tab with scrollbars to be able to view minute details by panning around with the scrollbars. I'm currently guessing this happens only if you use the "Insert Image" bbcode icon (a little rectangle with a tiny landscape).

On the other hand, if you aren't intentionally creating one of these high density photos for a specific purpose, you should have your camera set to a lower resolution so the photo doesn't go to another page but appears directly in your post using the Attach files button.

We always talk in terms of file size and not resolution. They are related but different things. Massive filesizes are created when a photo is very high resolution. But if you are going to use very high resolution based on your phone camera settings, you should have a reason for doing so since they vastly exceed any useful need in simply displaying a photo within a post, on your computer or phone. Size is what causes the problem with exceeding the attachment size, but resolution often is what makes the file size massive. It's fairly safe to say that unless you know you are using a photo for something special (like sending it off to have a large poster or wall hanging made), keeping the phone at a lower resolution is the carefree approach. It causes you not to run out of space and need a newer phone sooner, speeds uploads, and uses less bandwidth from your cell provider (important if you have a bandwidth cap). Since I lowered my phones default camera resolution, I've never had to think about it any longer, it just works for anything I do, takes up less space and they still look perfect when displayed.

On the old versus new. There was a few K difference on the old settings versus the setting on this server. Both are/were around 7MB. For the other method I mentioned to upload, I don't know what the limit is and will have to study that first when I get time. The largest I've seen is AMF's 13.3MB Milwaukee city scape. On the old server, there was no way to get a photo in that big.

Quora says file size is affected by the details in a scene and/or how many different colors are involved.
Assuming no camera settings have been changed.
Thanks for answering that. I didn't have a response on that issue (why a phone has a such a range of sizes it takes). I would guess that zooming and unzooming might have an impact. On my phone there is also a mode where it shoots several images within one and then takes the composite. That generates very large file sizes and I've never been able to figure out why I would want it, so I turned it off.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back