What is is this flare fitting called - Delphi injection pump

Dan S (NY)

Can anyone tell me what type of flare this is and if there is a tool available to make it myself? This is part of a 'bleed' line in a Perkins 903.27 engine with a Delphi injection pump. I messed up removing it and broke it. Unlike more of the other lines, this one went into a removable fitting in the pump and I didn't notice the fitting was turning instead of the compression nut and twisted the pipe. Should have had a second wrench on the fitting. Now I am finding this line is not available. Went to a Perkins dealter and they managed to find the part number (4121A026) but comes back as obsolete/NLA. Only place I find it are mostly overseas web sites that I'm not sure about. This is just a bleed line, not high pressure so I'm hoping to make a new line myself. Measuring the diameter of the line looks like 4.75mm brake line would work but I need to make this odd flare. This is in a 2002 MF 231S, not much support I guess for a 22 year old tractor.

Attachments

• Flare.jpg
    Flare.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 106
504DC950-8B36-476E-B6DC-E05DF28503CD.png
This should be an option also. Would take a high temp small fuel hose. Not sure how close to a manifold you have to go but I think it’s a Lucas Delphi proprietary thing reminds me of ac line a little.

The ORIGINAL line uses a rubber grommets to seal against the line bubble when the nut was tightened. They seal better than the brass line sleeves do and the nut does not need to be so tight. MF/Perkins used those for years.

It appears to be what I would call a GM short fuel line fitting. It uses a square Oring; others are correct in that MF used them on power steering lines. The hydraulic tool for making double flare brake fittings has a die for making that filling. You can reuse the nut. Many mechanics that do brake line work have that tool but have never made that fitting because it is not used in brake work. The tool I have access to will also make what I call the long nose GM fuel line fitting. As usual Dieselteck is correct, do not over tighten.

The ORIGINAL line uses a rubber grommets to seal against the line bubble when the nut was tightened. They seal better than the brass line sleeves do and the nut does not need to be so tight. MF/Perkins used those for years.
Yes, there is an o-ring that it tightens against. The other end of the line is straight with no flair so maybe I can find a line for a different Perkins engine that is supported that has the correct end and rebend/cut it to what I need.

It appears to be what I would call a GM short fuel line fitting. It uses a square Oring; others are correct in that MF used them on power steering lines. The hydraulic tool for making double flare brake fittings has a die for making that filling. You can reuse the nut. Many mechanics that do brake line work have that tool but have never made that fitting because it is not used in brake work. The tool I have access to will also make what I call the long nose GM fuel line fitting. As usual Dieselteck is correct, do not over tighten.
Thanks. I have seen the GM fuel lines but the ones I have found are always to large.

I don't know, but why wouldn't a ferrule slip on the tube and work?
I've just used the rubber grommets WHITHOUT the line bubble and they seal fine with the line nut. Those rubber line sleeves I have on hand for 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 inch line sizes. Perkins used the brass Ferrels years ago but switched to the rubber grommets as they seal better. They can be hard to get out sometimes though.

I've just used the rubber grommets WHITHOUT the line bubble and they seal fine with the line nut. Those rubber line sleeves I have on hand for 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 inch line sizes. Perkins used the brass Ferrels years ago but switched to the rubber grommets as they seal better. They can be hard to get out sometimes though.
So, you're saying you just used straight line with no flair and it sealed? I guess the flare is just there to keep the rotating nut from digging into the rubber.

So, you're saying you just used straight line with no flair and it sealed? I guess the flare is just there to keep the rotating nut from digging into the rubber.
Yup, they seal fine . My MF Super 90 pulling tractor has the filter/ pumps supply line made from steel brake lines, nuts and rubber line grommets. NO leaks anywhere on the straight line ends. Once the nuts are snug those lines don't move.

Can anyone tell me what type of flare this is and if there is a tool available to make it myself? This is part of a 'bleed' line in a Perkins 903.27 engine with a Delphi injection pump. I messed up removing it and broke it. Unlike more of the other lines, this one went into a removable fitting in the pump and I didn't notice the fitting was turning instead of the compression nut and twisted the pipe. Should have had a second wrench on the fitting. Now I am finding this line is not available. Went to a Perkins dealter and they managed to find the part number (4121A026) but comes back as obsolete/NLA. Only place I find it are mostly overseas web sites that I'm not sure about. This is just a bleed line, not high pressure so I'm hoping to make a new line myself. Measuring the diameter of the line looks like 4.75mm brake line would work but I need to make this odd flare. This is in a 2002 MF 231S, not much support I guess for a 22 year old tractor.
Was talking to MF/Kubota salesman couple of weeks ago and learned that a MF231(mine) and a MF231S have NOTHING in common. Virtually no parts interchange. Mine was made in Poland and parts are available whereas the India 231S parts are non existent. So if you have an across the pond contact, I'd cultivate that source and maybe they can help locate/provide your fitting. I feel your pain.

Was talking to MF/Kubota salesman couple of weeks ago and learned that a MF231(mine) and a MF231S have NOTHING in common. Virtually no parts interchange. Mine was made in Poland and parts are available whereas the India 231S parts are non existent. So if you have an across the pond contact, I'd cultivate that source and maybe they can help locate/provide your fitting. I feel your pain.
My 231S was made in Turkey, and you are correct that it is quite different from the older 231.

Yup, they seal fine . My MF Super 90 pulling tractor has the filter/ pumps supply line made from steel brake lines, nuts and rubber line grommets. NO leaks anywhere on the straight line ends. Once the nuts are snug those lines don't move.
Put it together tonight with just a a straight pipe and it firmed right up when the nut was tightened. We'll see if it leaks when I get fuel to it but it feels solid. Thanks for the tip.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back