What size is M24X2 Castle Nut?

The Woods finish mower I bought this spring has a healthy gearbox leak that I am trying to get to the seal to replace. Once I got the gearbox off the mower I found a bit pulley that drives anything held on with a big castle nut. In SAE it was between 1 and 1/4 and 1 and 1/2 sockets. Parts diagram says its M24 x 2. None of my metric sockets are big enough, or my 12" cresent wrench. So I order a M24 socket. Got here overnight on Amazon Prime, but its too small by a lot.

So what the heck size of a socket do I need?

Thanks!

The Woods finish mower I bought this spring has a healthy gearbox leak that I am trying to get to the seal to replace. Once I got the gearbox off the mower I found a bit pulley that drives anything held on with a big castle nut. In SAE it was between 1 and 1/4 and 1 and 1/2 sockets. Parts diagram says its M24 x 2. None of my metric sockets are big enough, or my 12" cresent wrench. So I order a M24 socket. Got here overnight on Amazon Prime, but its too small by a lot.

Thanks!
1 inch is 25.4 MM so it would be between a 32 to 38 mm. the M24 x 2 is thread size not socket size.

If you have a nearby Harbor Freight they will have a 33 mm socket.
If you have a nearby Harbor Freight they will have a 33 mm socket.
Yeah, but you'll have to buy the whole set. HF no longer sells individual wrenches.

I usually buy big sockets at my nearby Ace Hardware, which carries Craft$man. For a cheaper tool, Home Depot sells individual sockets but I don't know that they carry the really large sizes.

Yeah, but you'll have to buy the whole set. HF no longer sells individual wrenches.

I usually buy big sockets at my nearby Ace Hardware, which carries Craft$man. For a cheaper tool, Home Depot sells individual sockets but I don't know that they carry the really large sizes.
Didn't know that...bought a 30mm deep well impact socket from them about a month ago.

A $10 micrometer would save time and money
You probably mean vernier calipers... I like the kind with the dial. That way you don't have to remember how to read them.

Micrometers only measure in 1" increments so you'd need a set, and they cost a lot more than $10.

But, a tape measure would be perfectly fine for this job. When Harbor Freight was giving them away all the time I'd grab one each time I went by a store. Got about a dozen cheap 25ft tape measures scattered around the farm. Still can't find a single one of them when I need it...

Incorrect. I was in there on Sunday and they still sell individual sockets. They just don't sell ALL the individual sockets. Only the more common sizes.

Thanks!
Auto parts stores should have a loaner axle nut set.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back