Whining gears?

Axell

Hi!

Was out driving my super major for the first time doing some work in the field. When in 4/2 there is a whining noise. A little less in 3/1 and none in 6/5 and rear.
Cant quite tell where it is comming from but the foot rest on the left is vibrating. Feels like touching an oscilating multitool.
The oil level was low when I got it. Only half full. Put 15w40 in it.

Also, I can hear the pto when spinning. Not at all as quiet as my other tractors pto.

Any cause for concern?

If you are putting 15/40W in the gearbox/rear axle it is way too light, should be 20/30W in engine gearbox and rear axle on those. Gearboxes were noisy, some people went back to 80/90W to quieten them down but, on later Supers the gears were cut differently and this caused more noise.
Check that your transmission hand brake is not just on, if you have one.

I use 20/50W in all my engines and transmissions on my later tractors but stick to 80/90W in my 1952 Major. Works for me here in England.

I actually put 80w90 in it as I have lots of it but got cold feet because what if the seals between engine, gear and rear are leaking. Mixed oils isnt good is it?
I have some 20w50 I plan on using for the engine. But perhaps I should buy some more for the gearbox.
It is a tractor/oil spreader from 1962. Leaking a bit here and there :)

The clutch is dry between the engine and the transmission so no worries there. Have you noticed any metal specks or flakes in the transmission oil? I glued a magnet to the drain plug on my S/M and also a worn out clutch can created driveline noise especially when engaging PTO implements. I would think 15W40 should be fine in all compartments in your climate.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back