Whining noise

te01

New User
My John Deere AR has a fairly loud whine whine in all gears when driving. There is no whine when stopped with clutch engage or when stationary with the pto running. Most likely just gear whine or possibly the first reduction bearing?

My John Deere AR has a fairly loud whine whine in all gears when driving. There is no whine when stopped with clutch engage or when stationary with the pto running. Most likely just gear whine or possibly the first reduction bearing?
When I first saw the title of your post I thought it was going to be about a rich "singer" who dates a football player! As to the tractor, they had "straight cut gears" and a certain amount of gear "whine" is normal. Hard to judge without actually being there and listening to it.

What weight is your transmission oil now ???? If 80-90 now, go to a SAE 120.. Heavier oil will help quiet the gear or bearing noise... Even a little STP oil additive may help....

It could be first reduction gear bearing. It is a pretty easy one to check and replace. The next one that is fairly common and would make noise in all gears is the right hand bearing on the countershaft. It is a little bit more of a project to replace.

you have something serious going on there, in diff or trans. either a bearing shot or something. i have a couple AR's and no whine at all.

I own two Styled AR's....NO whine sounds in any gears....Now,I owned a JD "R"..and yes the WHINE sound started....I pulled the bearing CAP, "that has an extension" installed shims.... inner length preloads the bearing,
now the bearing is tighter against the bearing RACE/CONE..no more whine
sound.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back