Who sells the best QUALITY condensers?

For a 1949 Front Mount Distributor, 6 Volt....
Does anyone sell a QUALITY made, (perhaps AMERICAN) ignition condenser for our 8N's?
I've had these fail more than any other part on this great old tractor!
Thank you!

Try ebay for new old stock from name brands about 40-50 years ago.
You have to recognize the old packaging. If you get a good condenser ,hang on to it.

No condensers here! Changed to Pertronix electronic ignition four years ago. Love it.

Points and condenser won't run in this environment, the but the EI does.

20240512_152424.jpg20240512_152419.jpg zuhnc

No condensers here! Changed to Pertronix electronic ignition four years ago. Love it.

Points and condenser won't run in this environment, the but the EI does.

View attachment 71114View attachment 71115 zuhnc
Nuttin negative here, I don't remember seeing the inside of a distributor have that much trash in it. I assume you know they make a dust cover for that. Not that I care for a dust cover I could see where it may be of benefit to you.

Does anyone sell a QUALITY made, (perhaps AMERICAN) ignition condenser for our 8N's?
Thank you!
I have had best luck with the Standard brand (Standard Motor Products) ignition components. Their Blue Streak grade when available. It may be just lucky but no condenser failures from those, yet.

Thank you!
Do you have a condenser tester?

Try O'Reilly Auto Parts. Ask for PN FD-71. You can also try NAPA but don't let them sell you the Echlin line. From what I hear, they aren't what they used to be.

How did all those thousands of Ns run in Missouri, for ~40-50 years before Petronix was founded?

Does your distributor have bugs? Or is that something growing inside it?
How did all those thousands of Ns run in Missouri, for ~40-50 years before Petronix was founded?

It did have, but they departed after taking a dump! :poop:

I have removed a number of those electronic ignition due to them not holding up well. Me I'll stick with points and I have tractor that run just fine and its been years since I have done anything to the points

I had 2 pertronix units in 2 different cars burn up and caught the distributer on fire which scorched my hood. No more!

I only went "modern" on a few chevys/gm I own.

I put in the modern 1-wire distributors, but kept a complete spare behind the seat. Faster than changing/fixing points.....

I am aware of the dust shield, haven't got one yet. Now on my list of parts to get. Just grass seed and debris from mowing. Tractor has been running great, and starts instantly, so I haven't been inclined to remove the cap! Also probably need to take off the sensor plate and check the weights, etc. I do oil the felt and put oil in the port on occasion, though.

This one has been installed for four years, as well as Pertronix on three of my generators. One has been installed on a generator for about 8 years, now, and it gets its 30-minute bi-monthly exercise.

Most of the issues with Pertronix failures are installation issues; reversed polarity on the earlier units caused failure. That has been corrected with later units. Another failure point is the refusal of some installers to RTFM, and insist on using solid-core (non-resistor) wire with the units. Pertronix will not warrant a unit unless one uses some type of resistance wire. Jumping non-starting equipment with a dead battery with 24V doesn't help them either.

Pretty much everything comes with some sort of electronic ignition, now a days. Must be something to them. zuhnc

Last edited:
I am aware of the dust shield, haven't got one yet. Now on my list of parts to get. Just grass seed and debris from mowing. Tractor has been running great, and starts instantly, so I haven't been inclined to remove the cap! Also probably need to take off the sensor plate and check the weights, etc. I do oil the felt and put oil in the port on occasion, though. zuhnc

Put some water in there and it will germnate!!!! Then your rotor can mow it!!!! ROFL!!!!

Why does You need a "felt" on yer Petronic?

Yours seems to be....8N distributor side mount... did You read OP post?

Thank you!
i switched to EI a few years ago, so no recent experience. but from what people say here, getting a good one from *any* brand seems to have become a game of russian roulette.

The only condensor that I had go bad was a John Deere one that was probably 20 years old. No problem with any of them on my fords.

@Mad Farmer - Why YES, I did read the original post about a QUALITY condenser. I don't know about any quality condenser, unless one would go to Digi-Key or Mouser, and get a modern condenser to fit.

My post IS related to quality condensers because I don't use any condenser; that was my point. Eliminate the points and condenser, and one will NOT have to ask the question about finding a quality condenser.

In today's parts supply and quality issues, finding a QUALITY (OEM?) condenser is going to be an issue,

As to the felt, oil on that felt will lubricate the advance mechanism shaft, which the EI still has, as that is a function of the distributor and not the EI.

The stuff in there will probably germinate, but without sunshine, won't grow too well! Thanks for the laugh! Hadn't thought of that. zuhnc

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back