Recent content by blakefords

  1. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    Radio shack was handy. Ok I will look for a pre-made set. Thanks
  2. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    I'll do some diagram reading 👍
  3. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    Are the diodes/resistors tractor specific or based off alternator output?
  4. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    Amp meter has a few components routed through it. Starter solenoid ignition and alternator output.
  5. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    Amp meter has a few components routed through it. Starter solenoid, ignition and alternator output.
  6. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    I don't know alot about these tractors and bought it as is. New battery and it tested good. Terminals are clean and it cranks healty. Im using a fluke meter. The chassis ground (on frame under gas door) is clean and has low resistance when checked from battery neg to chassis ground bolt. As I...
  7. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    19.8v is positive output side of alternator and negative battery post.
  8. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    I charge up the condenser with my meter on ohms and watch it build. Untill it shows OL then switch to volts and watch the condenser discharge. Found it on YouTube. Tested one out of the distributor and tested a new one. The burnt ones don't take a charge and disapate fast.
  9. B

    1948 8n alternator making 20v

    Hello. I have a 1948 8n with a front mount distributor. I bought it with a 12v conversation and have been having issues with it burning up condensers. I replaced another condenser and wondered what my battery had for % and what the alternator was putting out. 12.2v battery and 19.8v while...
  10. B

    1948 8n can't get full throttle

    My 8n had ran ok then shut off. I swapped carbs back to the original one(after rebuilding it) still ran bad. Gapped the plugs and distributor. Found out. The capacitor/condenser on the front mount distributor was fried. Wouldn't hit high rpm but would idle ok. Easy to check. Easier to buy and...
  11. B

    1948 ford 8n bogs under load

    UPDATE. Had aluminum carb on ran like garbage. Rebuilt the original carb. Ran like garbage. Pulled the distributor, had .032 gap. Regapped to .015. Ran like garbage. Took the distributor all apart and tested the condenser on the top of distributor, did not like voltage or getting resistance...
  12. B

    1948 ford 8n bogs under load

    Appreciate the help. I'll throw a multi meter positive on the output terminal and ground on the battery.
  13. B

    1948 ford 8n bogs under load

    The 12v battery hasn't been tested no. Takes a charge from an external charger but won't hold a charge. Quick fix for that. The alternator spins under belt tension and 3 months ago made power and charged the 12v battery. The alternator cannot be spun under tension by hand Would a low 12v...
  14. B

    1948 ford 8n bogs under load

    Definitely forgot to mention that when I bought this the alternator had output to the 12v. I tested this with a wrench while running and it had magnetic pull. The day it quit running I worked and got it back to an idle. The alternator did not have anymore magnetic pull and the 12v needed jumped...
  15. B

    1948 ford 8n bogs under load

    First fill up was 8 or 9 gal of rec fuel. After talking with some old boys they said don't spend the extra $$ on it and run normal 87. I will check the fuel when I drain it later this week.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top