Recent content by dennis1200

  1. D

    Ford 4000 can't advance timing enough with distributor

    To get it to not hit the carb, you have to find the right notch on the distributor gear to slip into the drive. This means finessing the distributor over just one tooth or two - just pull it up until you can just rotate it freely, scooch over a bit and put it back down. I found that there's...
  2. D

    Are tach cables directional?

    I thought I had a native spin-on filter (it is a spin-on in any case), but it looks like a hex plug beneath it unfortunately. So if that's a no-go, I just won't have a tach, not the most important thing in the world.
  3. D

    Are tach cables directional?

    This may be a total beginner question, but I searched the forums and didn't find anything specific (most people posting still using gennys, getting advice to put in an alternator instead but nothing mentioning anything different about the tach). I'm looking to get a tach cable for my 1972 Ford...
  4. D

    Where to get a single-wire temperature gauge

    Probably going to go with an original cluster style replacement. The gauge is definitely the bad part; mechanical damage to it. Sender worked on a friend's 3000.
  5. D

    Where to get a single-wire temperature gauge

    This is all helpful, but I'm a bit confused about the gauge/sender combo. At the auto parts stores it seems like the gauges are sold separately from the senders (for electrical gauges anyways). How do I make sure they're matched up?
  6. D

    Where to get a single-wire temperature gauge

    The original gauge is an electric gauge. It just seemed like the original gauge just has two wires going from it, but I took a closer peek and it all bundles together with the other instrument panel wires into a multi-port plug. I assume the power is somewhere in there, and just goes to all of...
  7. D

    Where to get a single-wire temperature gauge

    I've got a 1972 Ford 4000 gas and the temp gauge is shot, but I don't want to have to replace the entire instrument cluster just to have a working temp gauge. It seems like it's just a one-wire gauge, with one line straight to the sender and a ground. I don't mind an aftermarket gauge, but they...
  8. D

    Part number for flywheel inspection cover?

    That sure looks like it. Thanks! I'll have to bookmark that site. Sorry for the delay in posting, all the notifications keep going to spam - gotta change that.
  9. D

    Part number for flywheel inspection cover?

    I've been looking around for a flywheel inspection cover (on the bellhousing to see timing marks) since mine fell off who knows where and I'd like to have something a bit more durable than duct tape (no offense to duct tape). Haven't found it through searching the forums or on tractor parts...
  10. D

    Ford 4000 can't advance timing enough with distributor

    I started again from scratch (for the 3rd time), pulled out plug #1 to find tdc, set the timing for 2 degrees at idle, ran it for a good 30 minutes with lots of revving up and idling down. Initially had intermittent spark on cylinders 2 & 3 but think that was due to gas on them; cleared up...
  11. D

    Ford 4000 can't advance timing enough with distributor

    Thanks so much for this thorough checklist - very helpful. However, I went through every point and none of those issues is present. I even borrowed another distributor from a friend from a working Ford 3000 and same problem. This project has been a total mystery to myself and a friend who is a...
  12. D

    Ford 4000 can't advance timing enough with distributor

    I got the distributor into place on the right gear tooth and adjusted the timing. Now one new issue : I can set the timing and run it just great for a little bit but if I come back a day later it runs like crap and the timing is way off (usually retarded beyond tdc). Any thoughts on what might...
  13. D

    Ford 4000 can't advance timing enough with distributor

    Hey all, I've got what is definitely a timing issue, but other things may be going on as well. I recently tuned up the tractor - a 1972 Ford 4000 3-cyl gas - replacing the plugs and wires, distributor cap, points, rotor, etc. I thoroughly cleaned the distributor and lubed it as needed; all...
  14. D

    Bad temperature gauge Ford 4000

    I don't really have any preference as to an original or not, just a decently priced temp gauge that works. I'm curious to know whether any particular temp gauge would read accurately with the original sender.
  15. D

    Bad temperature gauge Ford 4000

    I've got a bad temperature gauge (mechanical damage) on my 1972 Ford 4000. I'm pretty sure the sender is good, and would like to just replace the gauge itself. I've looked on ebay and tractor parts websites and have only found gauges listed for pre-1964 4000s. It seems like the only gauge I find...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top