Recent content by Des

  1. D

    Ford 951

    I have never seen it before either. The oil has no signs of water contamination. I will do a coolant pressure check and compression check along with leak down test. I have the necessary equipment just need the time to do it. Busy schedule. I swear I stay busier since I retired and that was 5...
  2. D

    Ford 951

    Thanks for the replies. It will probably be a week or so before I get around to looking further into it. I hope it is not a cracked head as they appear to go for about $600. If the head is bad I will have to make a decision to fix it or part it out. I do not need another tractor but I will make...
  3. D

    Ford 951

    I was given a 1958 Ford 951 that had been sitting for a couple of years. New engine oil, trans oil and antifreeze was good. Gas was really foul so drained that cleaned strainer and cleaned carb. Coil was bad (leaking) so replaced that. Added new battery and presto it lit right off. engine had...
  4. D

    1963 ford 2000 vs 1972 Ford 2000

    You guys are a great resource for tractor info. The problem is if I keep both it will be a marital issue. How are you all on Marriage counseling? Des
  5. D

    1963 ford 2000 vs 1972 Ford 2000

    My error, neither tractor has live PTO. My knowledge of tractors is limited but I do like working on them. My use is usually moving around trailers, civil war cannons, and occasionally using grader box or a blade. Des
  6. D

    1963 ford 2000 vs 1972 Ford 2000

    Both are gas, the 4cyl has a 4 speed, the 3cyl has a 3 speed with high and low range. Both have live pto. no power steering
  7. D

    1963 ford 2000 vs 1972 Ford 2000

    I picked up the 72 for a project to sell. Now I have a problem. The 72 has the high low range trans which I like much better that the 63. The 63 is in much better shape cosmetically and runs smoother as it is a 4cyl. The sheet metal can be fixed and time is not an issue ( retirement is grand)...
  8. D

    1971 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas

    Problem found and fixed! There is a fuel pump called the fuel lift pump, I replaced it and everything is working fine. Thanks for all your inputs. Des
  9. D

    1971 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas

    The coil is what the factory specs call for. It doesn't say 6 or 12 volt but it is the number from Ford.
  10. D

    1971 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas

    The resister wire is still there and the coil is for an external resistance. I do not have time tonight but it appears to me to be a fuel pump but will know more tomorrow when I take the pump out and check it and the lines. The last time it quit I had an electric circuit tester ( probe with a...
  11. D

    1971 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas

    Tractor is a factory 12 Volt system.
  12. D

    1971 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas

    It appears as it is a fuel problem. All the tractors I have worked on to date were older Fords, Farmalls. As such they did not have a fuel pump, just gravity drain. In tracing out the fuel lines it appears to have a fuel pump on the top front of the engine behind the generator. I did the same as...
  13. D

    1971 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas

    I got this tractor at a good price and planned on fixing it up a bit and selling. Tractor ran when I bought it although not smoothly. When I got it home drove it around the block made it a little less than a mile and it quit running. Would not start again even with ether. Towed home found coil...
  14. D

    1963 Ford 2000 gas tractor engine oil

    To me that is high pressure at idle. As engine speeds increases the oil pressure raises a bit more. I always remember a GM engine performance engineer stating a stock small block had adequate oil pressure at idle of 8psi. I do not know what the pressure should be in the tractor but was...
  15. D

    1963 Ford 2000 gas tractor engine oil

    I did an oil and filter change on the tractor and put 15 40 oil in it. A few sources recommended that weight oil. Before the oil change I had 38 -40 psi at idle on a warm engine. With the 15 40 oil it is now 58 psi warm at idle. I believe it would be better of with a 30 weight or less but wanted...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top