Recent content by Jim Mitchell

  1. J

    MF50 exhaust manifold

    I have been on the phone for hours trying to find someone who might have one. It seems that the MF50 with the early Perkins diesel is a bit of a rare bird. Apparently, most of them came with a gasoline engine. The guy who sold the tractor to me doesn't even remember owning it. I have had it...
  2. J

    MF50 exhaust manifold

    I have not been having much of a problem with unit serial number breaks using this parts book. It often give serial number ranges for different part numbers when there is a difference. This is a picture of the original manifold.
  3. J

    MF50 exhaust manifold

    No help there.
  4. J

    MF50 exhaust manifold

    This is the same one I bought.
  5. J

    MF50 exhaust manifold

    I have an MF50 with the A3.152 Perkins diesel engine. I have a parts book for it. As part of my rebuild project I decided that it would be simpler to replace the exhaust manifold than to try to drill and tap the broken flange stud. I bought a new manifold that shows as being the correct one in...
  6. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    Well, I finally got it to start. And, I don't know why, for sure. After I checked out, and corrected the timing problem I created by not paying attention to the D mark on the cam shaft gear, I tested compression, which showed about 300 psi on each cylinder. I checked the timing and it all...
  7. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    If the hydraulic head is somehow defective, it would be something that I did when I reassembled it, given that the tractor started and ran before I launched this wild adventure to rebuild it. I just don't know what I could have done wrong. Since I didn't take apart the rotating element or try...
  8. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    Here is where I am now, I checked the cylinder compression and show about 300 psi on each cylinder. The timing of the E showing up in the injector pump window seems to coincide with the #1 cylinder coming to TDC, and the timing mark on the flywheel showing up at the same time. I took my injector...
  9. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    Thanks for that run-down. I will add it to the things I need to try. It seems that the root cause of my problem is timing, but timing of what remains the open question.
  10. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    I can't look at the cut-away for the injector pump and identify anything that I might have done wrong. I have slept since I took it all apart and reassembled it. I do remember scratching a mark in the housing to reinstall the snap ring where it was when I took it apart. It could be that I...
  11. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    I just lapped the valves to the seats. But they are the same valve and seat matched pairs. I didn't move the valves around among seats. Right now it is not very cold in my shop but I did try putting a blowdryer in the intake air stream to heat things up a bit. It didn't seem to change...
  12. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    Here is the latest. The injector pump was not timed to the engine so I adjusted it so that the c-clip edge is lined up with the E on the pump, at 20 BTDC. I also took up the top cover of the injector pump to ensure the stop lever wasn't stuck. Maybe yes, maybe no, but now I think it is correct...
  13. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    Thanks for the explanation DieselTech. And just to take some of the mystery out of this little adventure, I took the engine down to the naked block, so any place I could have made a mistake is an opportunity. I checked the injector pump timing last night and made an adjustment to get the mark...
  14. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    At the risk of taking all the fun out of the back-and-forth about the pistons, I only replaced the rings and liners. Thanks for the follow-up about finding TDC. And I hope Miangus is wrong about the timing gears, but it is still a possibility. I'll be back when I have some answers.
  15. J

    My rebuilt Perkins won't start

    Ok, fellas. I have a bunch of things to check, mostly I think, with the injector pump timing. That appears to be the consensus. It will take me a few days to get to it. I do have one additional question before I apply tools to tractor. Is there a way to tell when the #1 cylinder is at TDC (and...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top