Recent content by Lpakiz Larry

  1. L

    IH 656 electrical

    I discovered a procedure about 30 years ago that helps find a problem like this. Remove the fuse and replace it with a headlight sealed beam bulb, and connect each side of the bulb to the fuse terminals. The idea is to use the filament as a fuse. When there is a load thru the filament, the...
  2. L

    My first tractor! Case 411b needs love, could use advice.

    Is this a smaller 410 series, or the bigger 400 series? My former BIG 400 said 411 on the dash plate.
  3. L

    340 fuel guage

    The sender in the tank provides a ?variable? ground. Unhook the wire at the tank sender and turn on the power to the gauges. The gauge should register way full or way empty. Then ground the wire you took offf the sender to the block or frame.. The gauge should swing the opposite way that it...
  4. L

    Case 211B Front Axle Removal

    Use a 3-4# hammer and hit it smartly on the round part, exactly opposite of the arm. You will need to hit it quite hard, 3-8 times, maybe. The idea is to use the weight of the main arm as a backing, against the force of the hammer. If you can?t get a good shot in that position, you can strike...
  5. L

    Hydraulic pump

    Go to a seal and bearing place and get the next undersize seal, with the same OD to fit the bore of the case. There are several different styles of seal, so have the old seal with you. Then have a machine shop clean up the shaft to the correct size to fit your new seal.
  6. L

    Final drive leaking problems on a B

    Another way to describe the correct way to install a seal is to look for the little garter spring. The garter spring will face the oil. Many times, a seal will have a lip facing each way. The lip,facing away from the oil is sometimes known as a ?wiper? lip, whose function is to try to keep...
  7. L

    IH 464 voltage Draw- help

    I agree with Pete. Hook up a small dash lite bulb with wires long enough to position the light wherever you can see it. Unhook the positive battery cable. Hook the test light up between the positive battery post and the cable. If you have a draw, the small bulb will glow. Now go around...
  8. L

    585 only leaks around 0

    I spent quite a few years as a heavy truck mechanic and I have seen that many times. I think what is happening is that when it gets zero or colder, the rubber hose under the clamp gets so cold that it looses its compressibility. Tightening the clamp while it?s still frozen helped some. As...
  9. L

    Bad engine rings

    Geez Bob, where did you learn to be so TACTFUL?
  10. L

    Case 400 missing

    My 400 was very susceptible to carbon dust shorting out the plug. Just running it over-choked for 15 seconds would foul a plug. The plug would be dry, just dusty. However, when fouled, it wouldn?t fire at all, under load or not, so not sure this helps you. Usually could swap the non-firing...
  11. L

    856 won't start at first?

    If the starter clicks but doesn't turn the engine over, just continue holding the button down, or the key in "start" position for 10-20 seconds. Then go around and feel the different battery and starter connections. The bad one will be hot. Sometimes.
  12. L

    Re: Case 200B

    I grabbed a fan blade with one hand and depressed the belt with the other hand. Easily turned it over I have also used the belt pulley shaft nut with a wrench. (Pulley was off)
  13. L

    Overhauling a hydraulic cylinder

    To all the sharp-eyed Math Guys out there, you are absolutely correct!! The formula I gave was for CIRCUMFERENCE. WRONG FORMULA! The correct formula (that I learned) for AREA is PI R squared. Since the radius of a 2 inch cylinder is 1", 1X1X3.1416 is indeed 3.1416 square inches. I never...
  14. L

    Removing Old style Farmall Regular Flywheel

    Vibration can be a pretty effective rust buster. If it were mine, I would commence briskly tapping all around that raised portion just outside where the nut was. I think I can see a knarf there at about the 1 o'clock position. That's the area I'm referring to. Keep tapping and turning the...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top