Recent content by OldFart187

  1. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    Thanks. Actually i did set the static timing with a thin piece of paper, same as shown in your picture. That will get it started so i can use a light to get it right.
  2. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    Wasn't the first time or the last. I did learn a lot so it wasn't all wasted.
  3. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    Found the real problem: me. My neighbor came over and straightened me out. I was setting it up based on the distributor rotor rotating clockwise. Of course it goes counterclockwise. From there on, it was easy. Sorry to mislead.
  4. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    Good thought about the dust cover. Another possibility. The cap I have looks new, likely replaced just before I got it.
  5. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    SOLVED! I think. Although you frequently can't trust AI, two of them said the existing cap is the wrong one. The cap I have has the index notch between two of the electrodes while AI says the correct TO30 cap notch is in line with an electrode. That would explain the problem exactly! The...
  6. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    Thanks. I'll check it out.
  7. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    Same set that worked just before it was removed.
  8. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    Makes sense, not idiotic at all. I've been known to overlook the obvious so I appreciate any cross checks. The crankshaft rotates clockwise and so does the distributor shaft looking down from the top. Once you install the distributor so the rotor aims at the desired cap electrode, you tighten...
  9. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    It was pointed to the #1 plug to put shortest wire in that general direction, really not too important since you can switch wires as needed. The internal cap contact moves slightly when you rotate the distributor to get the points into the firing position. That's when the rotor aims between...
  10. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    On my Ferguson TO30, likely similar to 9N, 8N and many others, I removed the Delco distributor after the tractor was running ok. On reassembly: 1. the flywheel was set to 6 deg BTDC on rhe compression stroke 2. the distributor was installed with the rotor pointing toward the #1 plug 3. the...
  11. OldFart187

    Crazy Distributor

    On my Ferguson TO30, likely similar to 9N, 8N and many others, I removed the Delco distributor after the tractor was running ok. On reassembly: 1. the flywheel was set to 6 deg BTDC on rhe compression stroke 2. the distributor was installed with the rotor pointing toward the #1 plug 3. the...
  12. OldFart187

    Short Quadrant Arc on Ferguson TO30

    Just reassembled the pump, top cover and quadrant after disassembly, cleaning and new valve. With the dipstick cover off but before the quadrant is installed you can reach in and move the fork and valve through full travel. When I installed the quadrant with the bracket roughly centered...
  13. Ferguson TO30 6v Starter Free Shipping

    For sale Ferguson TO30 6v Starter Free Shipping

    This starter is in good condition and works well. I'm replacing it with a 12v starter as part of a 12v conversion. It's a JST aftermarket 6v starter. 12-1/2" long, 4" dia, 4.25" across mounting bolts, 9 tooth pinion. Free shipping.
    $75.00
  14. OldFart187

    Sheared Flywheel Ring Gear Locating Flange

    Running the 6v starter on 12v produces 4x the pinion impact force and torque. No wonder ring gears get knocked back. Resistors that can handle 300a for hard cranking are huge and expensive, using two 6v batteries is expensive and clunky. Long skinny cables will melt. Looks like the only good...
  15. OldFart187

    TO30 Brake Assembly Procedure

    Yes I have a manual. Six in fact: Owners, Shop and Parts in hard copy and on my iPad. No excuses. The bracket on the radius arm is the anchor point for the power steering cylinder, not attached yet. I have a front end loader (see ID pic) which makes it hard to steer without it.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top