Recent content by outbackrider400

  1. O

    Found engine rebuilt '73 - how to proceed

    Thanks for the input. Seems it was stored in a heated area, as it had no rust inside. I'm planning on using it on an Oliver HG crawler that I have. Any thoughts on what oil to begin with?
  2. O

    Found engine rebuilt '73 - how to proceed

    Found a hercules 4 cylinder IXK engine '46 that was rebuilt in '73. Machine shop tags still attached, pistons still have factory inventory numbers on the piston heads. Everything inside looks good from looking in the spark plug holes. Was never reinstalled. I sprayed some pblaster in the...
  3. O

    Rocker arm removal

    Hello, I need to remove and replace a rocker arm on the valve train of our 3 cylinder 310 backhoe. One of the push rod adjustment bolts has a hairline crack. Trying to figure out how to remove the end plug in order to access the rocker arm. Thanks.
  4. O

    Replacing Head Gasket

    Thanks for the input. On the right side of the engine where the old head gasket was I was getting all sorts of oil spoooge coming from both the top and bottom of the head gasket. Looking at the old gasket, it does not look like they put any sealant on it and because of the bolt pattern, over...
  5. O

    3.164 Head Gasket Install

    Planning on installing new head gasket on our 310 backhoe. Has the 3.164 engine in it. Checked the Service Manual, appears to be straight forward, will bolt down sleeves. Anything else I should be aware of? Looks like I can install the gasket dry, as it came from Mother Deere.. Thanks.
  6. O

    Replacing Head Gasket

    Getting ready to replace head gasket in 310 backhoe. 3.164 engine. I've gone through the manual, looks pretty straight forward...anything I should watch out for. Plan to bolt down cylinder sleeves. Does the new gasket need Copper Coat or other treatment? Thanks for your input.
  7. O

    Oliver HG Crawler/Dozer - Transmission

    Hello, I recently picked up a '51 HG-42 and the transmission shift forks are rusted frozen in second gear, can't move the machine except for dragging it, which I am not going to do.... I am trying to get prepared for tearing into this and rebuilding the transmission. I have had great success...
  8. O

    1970's John Deere 410 Backhoe

    I had the same problem about 2 years ago. You don't need to remove the boom. I'm going to assume you can't move the machine. Here is how I did mine. Get a field repair fitting from a hydraulic shop. this will let you splice the blown hose in order to position the boom for repair. Where the...
  9. O

    JD 510C backhoe hyd line update

    I'm late posting to you..sounds like you have it. I have a friend who worked on the service truck for JD. I have a '72 310 and needed to change out the lines to feed the boom cylinder. This is what worked for me...I backed the machine to the highest point in my yard, extended the outriggers...
  10. O

    Small Crawlers with Blade JD, Cle-Trac, Oliver, Case

    Thanks for the reply, seems the Case has a slight preference lead over the Oliver and JD. I appreciate your reply.
  11. O

    Small Crawlers with Blade JD, Cle-Trac, Oliver, Case

    This is good advice about the holes in the tracks, some machines I have seen don't have the hholes, so I will keep that in mind as I search.
  12. O

    Small Crawlers with Blade JD, Cle-Trac, Oliver, Case

    Thanks, this is good advice. Are you still the owner of a 40C? How do you like it? Thanks for the reply.
  13. O

    Small Crawlers with Blade JD, Cle-Trac, Oliver, Case

    Wow!! One of each!! That sounds great. At this point I would just like to have one! If I could ask, having 3 what makes you use one over the other. The 310G is probably the heaviest so I can see the benefits of heavy grading with that machine. What work or chores do you find yourself doing...
  14. O

    Small Crawlers with Blade JD, Cle-Trac, Oliver, Case

    Thanks for the info on the tracks being like ice skates, I hadn't given that any thought.... My drive is basically flat...just long. Wanted to be able to push snow from the edges, if need be. Thanks for the reply.
  15. O

    Small Crawlers with Blade JD, Cle-Trac, Oliver, Case

    I plan to acquire a small crawler with a blade to level fill with, snow plow the driveway when we have these 8-15" snow storms, haul some logs, pull a log cart in the snow...etc. I am looking into the JD 40-420 line, not quite sure of parts availability etc. for the undercarriage...the...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top