Recent content by whaNcock

  1. W

    8N Key Switch

    I ditched the key switch for a marine toggle switch years ago with no regrets! Because of where I live and who's in my house, I don't have to worry about someone starting the tractor without a key, but that should be a consideration.
  2. W

    8n starting issue

    Pull the starter like Bruce (VA) suggested so you can look inside the bell housing and actually see what's going on. Use the tip he suggested...I know from experience!
  3. W

    Tips for Replacing Manifold Gasket

    Why would you be replacing the studs? I pulled my old manifold off with no problems. I replaced it with the new manifold and new brass nuts from YT. I had no reason to replace the studs. I don't want to remove them, however, the nuts and studs are very rusted. So rusted that the nut and...
  4. W

    Tips for Replacing Manifold Gasket

    Thanks for the comments. I will be replacing the manifold. Fortunately, I haven't had this issue for long, so I'm hoping the block will still be in good shape. If not, I'll try Tip #53.<p>I'm still curious about the 4 stud bolts. I've read on the forum that I need to drain the radiator...
  5. W

    Tips for Replacing Manifold Gasket

    I have a 1950 8N, front-mount with serial number 257XXX. It seems it's time for me to replace the manifold as hot exhaust gas (and an occasional spark!) recently started escaping in the circled area in the picture between the block and manifold. There is quite a bit of back-firing until the...
  6. W

    What year is this Ford pickup truck?

    Thanks everyone! We are going with 1964. Much appreciated!!!
  7. W

    What year is this Ford pickup truck?

    My wife's grandpa had an old Ford pickup, and she's been trying to determine what year it was. She found this picture the other day with her grandpa and the front end of the truck. Do any of you know for sure what year it was? Thanks!
  8. W

    Runs for 5 minutes then quits

    Here's an update. I'm a firm believer that most "it don't run/start" issues are spark related if one is able to get a steady stream of gas out of the carburetor bowl with the plug removed. In this case, I'd been able to get a spark to jump a 3/8" gap; checked the timing; replaced the points...
  9. W

    Runs for 5 minutes then quits

    I did bypass my GU100 resistor yesterday for about 3 minutes, and it didn't seem to make a significant impact. Although, I wasn't bypassing the resistor when I quickly throttled down and the engine stalled. Bypassing/no resistor might eliminate that. I will test it next time I'm out. Thanks...
  10. W

    Runs for 5 minutes then quits

    You are right about the jig being from TOH! My mistake. I did verify the 0.015" gap first and then adjusted the timing. I've never had to adjust the timing on my tractor before. I bought the jig just in case I'd need to one day, and that day finally came! I am getting proper gas flow from...
  11. W

    Runs for 5 minutes then quits

    Guys...I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. I made some progress today but am not 100% there. Since condensers are cheap, I had a new spare laying around and swapped out my recently installed, new one per Dell's suggestion not knowing whether it was actually good or bad...
  12. W

    Runs for 5 minutes then quits

    I'm afraid I'll burn my coil up if I bypass the resistor. Is it OK to do that for a short period of time to see if the tractor runs better?
  13. W

    Runs for 5 minutes then quits

    I do not have a ballast resistor, only the RU-100 ceramic. With it being 1.2 ohms and my coil being 2.5 ohms, total resistance is 3.7 ohms. 12.5V/3.7 ohms = 3.4A, and I always assumed that was good based on recommendations I've seen in the forum. It's run like a top for 4 years with that set...
  14. W

    Runs for 5 minutes then quits

    I have a 12V, 1950 8N front mount that I've used for plowing and disking almost 8 years in a 1/4 acre garden. It started and ran fine when I put it up and disconnected the battery last fall. I tried plowing two weeks ago and had to choke it more than normal to get it running at first, but then...
  15. W

    What type of lube should I use, if any?

    I purchased an older wet grinder on eBay to sharpen old, hand-forged axe heads. I took off the gear cover to grease them and noticed the wheel shaft does not have a grease fitting, hole for oil, or any evidence that it was previously greased. I don't see any bearings on the shaft either. It's...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top