Ford 8730 power steering orbital valve

Josh M.

Just resealed the power steering pump and orbital valve on our 8730. Put it all back together and the orbital valve is dripping the same way it was before I sealed it. I torqued everything to spec from an online manual I found, the bolts on the bottom cap are a little over 16.5 ft-lbs (my inch pound torque wrench stops at 200 and spec is 15-17 from what I could find). Anybody know if I can tighten those a little bit more without the internals binding? Or do you guys think I have a bad housing? I thought about putting some sealant around the bottom cap bolts becuase it didn’t seem like anything really would keep the oil from leaking out of those bolts but I never ended up doing it, could that also be a cause for the leak?

Did you replace that big round rubber sleeve? That's the part that usually leaks on those. If so, did you get the right one? The proper sleeve should stand taller than the outer spacer.

Did you replace that big round rubber sleeve? That's the part that usually leaks on those. If so, did you get the right one? The proper sleeve should stand taller than the outer spacer.
I did replace that one, I used the smaller 1.776” seal, the kit comes with a 1.9” seal that’s way too big for the valve I have. It stood proud of that metal sleeve and crushed down fine from what I could tell. The metal sleeve measures perfectly 1.75, should I have used the 1.9” seal? Seems like that wouldn’t crush down right.

I did replace that one, I used the smaller 1.776” seal, the kit comes with a 1.9” seal that’s way too big for the valve I have. It stood proud of that metal sleeve and crushed down fine from what I could tell. The metal sleeve measures perfectly 1.75, should I have used the 1.9” seal? Seems like that wouldn’t crush down right.
Sounds like you used the right sleeve, as the correct ones do stand proud but not by much.

I've resealed more of those orbit motors than I care to count, and most of the time it's that rubber sleeve that's leaking. The other times it's the input shaft seal. There's really no other places they can leak externally other than the hose fittings. I've never seen a housing crack. Also, I don't think it's leaking past the bolts, as I never have seen that, or for that matter put sealant on the bolts.

If it were me I'd wash it up real good and try and figure out exactly where the leak is coming from - possibly the new seal was defective. Whatever you do, don't overtighten those bolts or you'll lock it up.

When I did my 8830 I used the short rubber sleeve and it started leaking almost immediately.

Ended up buying this one as they said it was for the 1.75" steel ring. Been in the a few years without issue.

Sounds like you used the right sleeve, as the correct ones do stand proud but not by much.

I've resealed more of those orbit motors than I care to count, and most of the time it's that rubber sleeve that's leaking. The other times it's the input shaft seal. There's really no other places they can leak externally other than the hose fittings. I've never seen a housing crack. Also, I don't think it's leaking past the bolts, as I never have seen that, or for that matter put sealant on the bolts.

If it were me I'd wash it up real good and try and figure out exactly where the leak is coming from - possibly the new seal was defective. Whatever you do, don't overtighten those bolts or you'll lock it up.

When I did my 8830 I used the short rubber sleeve and it started leaking almost immediately.

Ended up buying this one as they said it was for the 1.75" steel ring. Been in the a few years without issue.
Thank you, I’m going to clean it all off tomorrow. If I find it’s the big seal leaking still I’ll go ahead and get that one.

This is how far the correct seal sticks up.

Attachments

• 60946.jpeg
    60946.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 31
Yes that is the correct seal "stick up" for the 1.75" steel ring. That is the seal from the link I posted before. If you have a seal that is 1.9" tall I believe that should be correct.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back