1175 steering whine

Jnscott

New User
My 1175 steers harder than I think it should. Not terrible but at idle it is very hard to steer when it is warmed up. When its cold it turns the same at idle as it does full throttle. When the oil is warm at idle when you turn the wheel there is a whining sound that to me sounds like the pressure relief valve opening up. When you rev it that sound goes away and the tractor turns better. I checked the pressure coming out of the relief valve a while back and I dont remember the pressure but it seemed to be ok. I have rebuilt the steering cylinders so there shouldnt be any problems there. Im planning on replacing the hand pump this winter because I believe its worn out causing the stiff steering and the pressure relief valve opening. Any thoughts on this is appreciated. Thanks

If your steering wheel does not have excessive slippage with the wheels cramped I would not be in a rush to replace the hand pump, how early a tractor is this, there was differences depending on serial number ranges, does it have power brakes or standard. On non power brake tractors , steering relief was controlled by an inline relief in the piping above and behind the engine. Have the spindles been kept greased? If I were in your shoes, I would pay someone to flow test the 8 GPM section of the rear mounted hydraulic pump as a loss of steering hot would point toward a worn pump losing efficiency when warmed up.

This post was edited by mEl on 08/12/2023 at 12:36 pm.

Non power brakes everything tests fine wheel doesnt move
excessively with wheels turned all the way. I just pressure tested
again on the relief valve. 1000psi at idle goes to 2000psi when
revved slightly. Although I find it interesting that on the line that
is the inlet to the hand pump oil seems to be back feeding when
the tractor is running. I can hold my finger over the line and stop
it at idle but when I rev the pressure is too much for me to hold.
I dont believe oil should be flowing out of that line coming out
of the hand pump.

i should also say that by stiff steering i mean that i cant turn fast. i have to kind of wait for the steering to catch up
to the wheel if that makes sense. i can turn slowly somewhat easily. still harder than i think it should be but not bad. its
when im trying to turn fast that i really feel the resistance on the steering wheel. tractors serial number is 8731605. im
very close to buying a pump to convert it to a new style pump just to rule it out. also with the tractor shut off it is
basically impossible to turn the wheel and the pump makes a clicking or grinding sound almost. it is my understanding that
even with the tractor off i should be able to have a very little bit of steering. the front end is also loose and greased
nothing wrong there even with the front end off the ground it turns exactly the same.

Please get a flow test done on the pump, your systems symptoms say that you are losing oil volume when hot, it is possible to have 2000 LBS pressure but NO GPM when loaded to that pressure and no work can be done. There is a circuit relief in the plumbing behind the engine which controls max steering pressure that has Orings that can fail and dump steering volume, it is the same style relief as in the Dual remote valve and those need the Orings replaced occasionally. Everything that 50 years of these tractors tells me to start at the supply first then move on if it checks OK

I don't know enough about your tractor to know if there are power steering hoses. But it sounds like my dodge grand caravan. On that car, the hoses deteriorate over time and plug some screens right ahead of the pump. It acted just the same as your tractor. It is probably something completely different.

I think I might have described my problem wrong. Steering is
basically the same from cold to hot. Only time steering is worse
is in the winter until the tractor warms up a bit. If you are
referring to the relief valve right next to the brake cylinders I
have had that apart and resealed and pressure checked. What
Im saying is when the tractor is warm I can hear what sounds
like that relief valve opening more often than when it is cold. I
can hear the squeal of oil pushing past it like when you turn the
wheels all the way and keep pressure on the steering wheel. I
hear it doing that at idle but when I rev the engine it goes away. I
would think if flow was the problem I wouldnt hear the relief
valve opening and my steering would be worse when hot which
is not the case. As far as the relief valve sound Im thinking that when the oil is hot the spring is weaker causing the valve to open easier.

You will need a flowmeter that can load the pump and see how may GPMs are being generated by the pump at rated pressure, I disconect the pump outlet and read the flow right off the pump. You would do well to hire an experienced technician with the proper equipment as a perfectly good pump can be destroyed in seconds as when testing as I do there is no overload protection and pressue must be controlled by the tester with a load control on the flow tester.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back