12 v conversion

first allis

New User
needing details(help me) in going from 6v to 12v on a WD Allis. This is my first tractor and I have a lot to learn. Any help would be appriciated greatly. Thanks. Tommy
 
Not all that hard to do and will cost you less then $100 if you use the right parts. That by the way includes the battery. Get an alternator for a 1980 Chev pickup no power any thing and it will cost you less then $50 Wiring it is easy also and off and on theres pictures posted of how to do it and maybe Bob will see this and post the picture he posts all the time
Hobby farm
 
Old forgets to add it may need a change in polarity (will now be negative earth), ammeter would, if fitted, then need polarity changing (not a critical issue). Also all the bulbs will need changing to 12 volt type. 6 volt starter motor will be OK, if it is in good condition.

Regards, RAB
 
Why change from 6V to 12V? With a good battery, heavy cables and conencted direct to the starter. She should roll right over.
All a gasser needs is a strong spark and just get the engine to roll over. It"s not a diesel which requires 150+ cranking rpm.
Make certain there isn"t something dropping voltage to the coil below 4.5V while cranking.
 
To make it more dependable, up-to-date, and compatable with other things he might want to run with tractor, which might be electric powered. I did mine primarily so I could hook up trailer lites, etc, flashing warning lites, etc, so if I need to travel on the road after dark, I can.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top