1850 row crop front axle, tie rods

Oli-V

New User
The tie rods rub against the stay rod mechanism on my 1850. I was thinking maybe someone had changed axles and mounted the stay rod on the wrong side of the axle (it's on the top). Then I was looking in my owner manual on the lube page and it appears to be on top. Other photos of 1850's I see it on the bottom. On the 'TractorData' site pictures it seems to be on either side. Anyone know the story on this, is it a year thing or what? I had been thinking of moving to the bottom until I saw this, and I don't like how its wearing into the tie rod metal and such...

I think somebody put an earlier axle under it and didn't change the center steering arm. The 1600s and earlier 1800s had the brace
on top. The holes in the steering arm beveled the other way. You'll have to change that arm.

I had to double check to make sure. With the brace on top, the tie rod ends come up through from the bottom and the nut is on top.
With the brace underneath, the ends go down from the top and the nuts are on the bottom. Is there a chance somebody replaced a
narrow front with an older wide front, didn't know there was a difference in the center steering arm and bought the wrong one?

I have no idea if the axle was changed or not. I really got confused when I saw pictures of 1850's with the stay rod mounted both ways. It may be by year maybe? It may be depending on which type of row crop axle? Pictures of 1850's on 'TractorData' show it both ways. I may have check it out and see I can re-arrange the stay rod and the tie rods.

Another thing to throw in the mix, I looked at numerous pictures and videos of the 1850, and some have an offset (drop) in the steering arm at the top of the kingpin shaft, some are straight. Mine are straight. If those were offset, there would be no binding. Somebody changed something here at some point, I believe.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back