1949 John Deere B engine work

After many years of waiting, I would like to put my 1949 John Deere B back together, specifically the engine. Some machine work has been done. Looking for help or a repair shop to assist me in this
endeavor. I am located in south central Massachusetts, could travel a reasonable distance. Thank you for any help/advice

I cannot help you other than to tell you I looked at the YT map, I took a guess by your description you are possibly near Sturbridge. None of the member around you on the map seem to be active. There is one fairly active poster that goes by Vito, he is across the line in Connecticut; maybe he will see this a chime in, his email is not open. Have you checked into any tractor clubs around your area? Not saying you have to join but they may have information on who may be able to help you. One thing about those two cylinder Deeres is that the section the crank sets in is a main part of tractor. So the tractor basically has to be where the engine is being assembled. Not like most other machines that the engine can be removed and easily hauled in a pickup or small trailer.
YT member map

SM2004 service manual for the B is a pretty good book. Doesn't take a lot of special tools to put one of those engines together. Some special tools (i.e. piston ring compressor) can be borrowed at a lot of auto parts stores like AutoZone and O'Reilly's.

Have received great information from everyone. Hope to give update and pictures on project over the winter. With help from others and you guys I am going to put back myself. I am very handy with
mechanical equipment, just need a little outside help. Thank You

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back