1952 John Deere MT generator belt

sicilian68

New User
I noticed the generator belt is pretty worn on my 1952 John Deere MT. Thought I'd put on a new belt but quickly realized there are some whoops to jump through to do so. Can anyone explain exactly what all needs removed to get the generator belt off and replace it? It is still the original 6 volt system. The fan, pulley, and drive belt have thrown me for a loop. Any info would be much appreciated.

[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]Can anyone explain exactly what all needs removed to get the generator belt off and replace it?[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]

This is one method of removing and replacing the generator belt.

Take a look at the [b:654c4848f0]COOLING FAN ASSEMBLY[/b:654c4848f0] diagram below.

cvphoto85338.jpg

First remove the generator.

cvphoto85339.jpg

cvphoto85340.jpg

cvphoto85341.jpg

Take a look at the photo below of the fan bracket (Key 5).

cvphoto85342.jpg

Note the slot that allows the spindle and thrust nut assembly (Key 15) to move up and down.

Take a look at the photo below of the end of the spindle and thrust nut assembly.

cvphoto85343.jpg

Note the hole for the cotter pin (Key 4).

Take a look at the photo below of the cotter pin.

cvphoto85344.jpg

If the cotter pin has been sheared off, then it could be a lot of work loosening the hex jam nut (Key 1).

If necessary, replace the cotter key with the correct part.

cvphoto85345.jpg

cvphoto85346.jpg

The cotter key allows the hex jam nut to be loosened and tightened.

Loosen the hex jam nut and slide the fan assembly down in the fan bracket.

Remove the fan drive belt (Key 20) from the bottom pulley.

cvphoto85347.jpg

Slide the fan assembly up into the fan bracket opening until the spindle end is completely out of the slot.

Remove the worn generator drive belt (Key 21) from the spindle.

Install the new generator drive belt.

Slide the fan assembly down into the fan bracket slot.

Slide the fan drive belt onto the bottom pulley.

Slide the fan assembly up into the fan bracket until the fan belt drive is tight.

Tighten the hex jam nut on the spindle.

cvphoto85348.jpg

Reinstall the generator.

cvphoto85349.jpg

Take a look at the photo below of the belts.

cvphoto85350.jpg

Hope this helps.

Couldn't have said it better! If the cotter key is broken I have found a 45 degree pick can get in there enough to get the nut broke loose on the fan.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back