1974 MF-135 Gas Perkins - Need Electrical Help / Advice

Marty13574

New User
1974 MF-135, Gasser, Perkins AG3-152, 12v Negative Ground.

The only working gauge when I recently acquired was good oil pressure & coolant temp. I installed new voltmeter & new fuel gauge w/sender. Power lead from fuel gauge was connected to terminal #4 of external voltage regulator, so I connected new voltmeter '+' to same location. Cranked up and engine ran great and new voltmeter & fuel gauge worked, but voltmeter was reading 17 volts.

I removed battery and replaced external voltage regulator. When all back together, now no power to regulator terminal #4 so no reading on new voltmeter or fuel gauge.

I read about polarizing but wasn't sure how to do that or if it was needed.

Any help and/or advice greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Ok, figured it out and changed, now seems ok.

I found an older thread where someone knowledgeable said the regulator could have no voltage at regulator terminal #4 when using the 10DN type alternators. So, I checked voltage with meter at the B (#2) regulator terminal and it seemed to be the correct one; no voltage with ignition switch off, battery voltage with ignition on, and 14-15 volts with engine running. So I connected the hots of the fuel gauge and voltmeter leads to this terminal and everything seems happy. Ran it for about 40 minutes.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back