clutch for the pto. I can shift into
ground speed pto, but engine speed pto it
will just grind and if I start it with the
pto on, the clutch does not disengage the
pto. I'm guessing I have to adjust the
clutch to hit the second stage. Anyone
have any kind of instructions on how to do
that? Appreciate any help!

Hello D_Morante welcome to YT! When you push the clutch down enough to stop driving the machine forward in a gear do you still have quite a bit of movement of the clutch pedal still to go? Say you have used about 1/2 or 2/3 of the pedal travel to release the main clutch then you can continue pushing down the pedal through the bottom third that is where the PTO would release. If this seems to describe the operation of your clutch then the following may be the problem you have. There is a high possibility that the lined clutch plate has stuck or adhered to the metal plates that drive it. Very common on an older machine that has sat a while or in this case maybe the PTO was not used. Unfortunately getting the clutch unstuck may become quite a problem. What kind of implement do you plan to connect to the PTO?

Hi, probably the only implement that i'll use the pto for is the bush hog mower. I'll have to take it for a ride and see where exactly the clutch engages for the trans. I know there is a lot of play in the clutch pedal before it even begins to actually go under tension and start moving the clutch, so I think it needs to be adjusted and that may be why it's not working the pto, figured it's not pulling far enough. I'll let you know after I go check on where it actually hits the clutch for the trans, ty.

I should add we had a MF 65 on the farm. It had a 2nd hole for the linkage for the clutch pedal. When you did not intend to use the live PTO you could move a pin to another hole so you did not have to lift you foot so high to get on the clutch pedal. So you might check that. If you say there is a lot of free play in the clutch the adjustment may be you problem.

The Operator's Manual should have info on adjusting the clutch. A couple of thoughts. Some Massey's had two holes in a lever arm of the clutch linkage. The linkage had to be pinned in the hole that moved the pedal to the higher position to use the PTO clutch, the lower position only fully operated the transmission clutch making it easier on one's leg. From the parts book it didn't look like that was an option on the 20C. The other thought is if yours is one you put a punch through a hole in the outer end of the clutch shaft, loosen the bolt clamping the linkage lever to the clutch shaft, use the punch to position the shaft then tighten the clamp; someone could have set it with a lot of free play if only needing the transmission clutch, to make it an easier position for their leg. In any case free play is normally about 3/4 to 1 inch. Again, the operator's manual should have the info you need to check adjustment.

Do you know where I can get ahold of the
operators manual? Mine has way too much
free play, about 2 to 2.5 inches, that may
be the problem. Ty for your reply!

www.agcopubs.com search for the model. That is the OEM operator, parts, and service manuals
You clutch problem. Check free play. If not excessive Lay down under the tractor and in the area of the clutch you will find a cover with either 2 or 4, 5/8 bolts. Remove cover (watch out for dirt). Using a large screw driver or pry bar turn the flywheel until you see a 5/16 bolt with a locknut, there are 3 equally spaced around the clutch. The manual calls for .090 between the head of the bolt and the plate it contacts to operate the PTO clutch. I have adjusted them to as little as .060 and had them work just fine. On the 20C the clutch pedal pivots on the same shaft as the brakes, linkage goes to a lever on the shaft that goes into the housing to operate the release bearing. That all said free play is adjusted by loosening the pinch bolt on the shaft, using a punch, bolt or screw driver in the hole in the shaft setting the free play. Do not use the turnbuckle on the link between the pedal and the clutch lever.
Adjustment should take care of your problem if it does not something is wrong or broken in the clutch and the tractor will have to be split to repair the clutch.

Thank you so much for this information! I have excessive free play, it's like 2 to 2.5 inches, but it seems to all be in the actual hole at the point of connection of the linkage to the piece that pulls the clutch. It has a huge hole that's way bigger than the rod that goes through it and it's that much play before it actually hits the rod to move the clutch. So not sure if that's the issue, but i'll try sticking something in the hole to get rid of the gap and see if it changes, if not i'll find that access and try adjusting.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back