2003 ESCAPE ,, My rolling Tool Box has a miss

O'riellys identified the miss to be coming from No5 Coil pack ,,. Well thats wonderful ,LOL,. ,, Sure would have been nice if it was the front ones .. Looks like the intake manifold will need to come off too ,,. Unless someone here knows a trick they would share ,,.. Little rascal only has 295,000miles , dont use oil , and runs like a scaldedazAPE... Never changed plugs in the 7yrs been here we got it with 240 , 000 Miles . Probably should change the plugs while I got it apart back there,, It probably has noeprene gaskets that i have reused on other cars ,,. But I bet These are to old to reuse .. This little ESCAPE is not stuck until it quits moving ,, only front wheel drive but, IT WILL GO ANYWHERE !

My daughter just (as of two weeks ago) retired her 2003 Escape. She bought anew Subaru to replace it. Hers had 200K+ miles on it, ran good, but “just wanted something better”. Removing the intake to get to the back three plugs is cheap and easy. Replacing the alternator takes a little bit more time and cuss words. (Don’t ask me how I know) Her departed Escape is now doing 12 hour shifts to deliver pizza in Phoenix. 🤣

O'riellys identified the miss to be coming from No5 Coil pack ,,. Well thats wonderful ,LOL,. ,, Sure would have been nice if it was the front ones .. Looks like the intake manifold will need to come off too ,,. Unless someone here knows a trick they would share ,,.. Little rascal only has 295,000miles , dont use oil , and runs like a scaldedazAPE... Never changed plugs in the 7yrs been here we got it with 240 , 000 Miles . Probably should change the plugs while I got it apart back there,, It probably has noeprene gaskets that i have reused on other cars ,,. But I bet These are to old to reuse .. This little ESCAPE is not stuck until it quits moving ,, only front wheel drive but, IT WILL GO ANYWHERE !
Some little Ford V-6's have a known fault that a failed C.O.P. can damage the computer, I don't know if that applies to the one you have, but GOOGLE will tell you.

Some owners replace all the coils with quality new ones at a certain mileage BEFORE such damage happens.

IF this applies to you and your 'puter has been damaged there are places that you can send it to for repairs, and they will return YOUR unit, which saves having to have a replacement $$$ programmed.

Good luck!

Cylinder #5 is in the front on fords, The RH side of eng is 1,2,3, the LH side is 4,5,6. You will need to remove the plenum to get the back cylinder plugs anyway. I don't know if you plan on replacing the coils, you might need at least one already, but you might consider buying at least 2 more and put the 3 new ones under the intake plenum.

When you decide to pull the intake plenum for plugs etc. it's not bad to do, just get new plenum gaskets. If you don't want to mess with some of the hoses around the throttle body, you can leave some attached and just flip the plenum up and out of the way. If the plenum is not coming loose, or you can't find the last bolt, I believe most of those had a hidden bolt and bracket, it basically under and behind the throttle body. It's not hard to remove once you see it, it's just another little 8mm bolt. Some of these didn't have EGR, if your does, you can either unscrew the 1-1/16" tube nut and leave EGR valve on intake, or you can remove the 2 EGR bolts and let it hang there, and probably a EGR valve gasket.

Some little Ford V-6's have a known fault that a failed C.O.P. can damage the computer, I don't know if that applies to the one you have, but GOOGLE will tell you.

Some owners replace all the coils with quality new ones at a certain mileage BEFORE such damage happens.

IF this applies to you and your 'puter has been damaged there are places that you can send it to for repairs, and they will return YOUR unit, which saves having to have a replacement $$$ programmed.

Good luck!
If its one that eats the PCM the coil will be burnt up you will see its cooked. If you just replace the coil it will mess the new coil up on the first start you will need to replace all the coils along with the PCM again, It gets expensive fast. I could look into it I would need more info. I always use OEM coils and plugs NO Aftermarket garbage its not worth the savings. You can get Motorcraft coils reasonable on the net.

I just did a case study (makes me look smart) no it just happen that way on a GM 5.3 with 618K. The plugs have 265K on them and used up. It had 6 AC iridium plugs and 2 NGK standard plugs. 5 Iridium plugs looked great .010 ware the NGKs had over .100 gap and worn slap out. The one bad iridium the porcelain was broke off near the center electrode. Its crazy how long those plugs lasted.

I'm glad to hear all you guys getting good service out of your Escapes. Picked up a 2011, V6 AWD,140K miles a few months ago when my 98 Ranger puked. Does a lot of things better than the Ranger did, except haul mulch. Been thinking I ought to do a spark plug change. Maybe after I get past haying season, whenever that is with all the rain....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back