.22 Ammo shortage- Partially solved.

Greg1959

Some of the posters here talk about their local Walmart having .22 ammo. My closest store has been out since the shortages began.

Went in to town today. Stopped at Walmart to drop off script. Pharmacy says it will take 30 minutes to fill. So, went to sporting goods to check for .22 Ammo. Been doing this for a couple of years since the ammo 'crisis' began.

They have a, yellowed from age, sheet of paper saying "We are out of .22 Ammo" taped to the front of the locked ammo cabinet. Well, today the yellowed sign was not taped on the cabinet. New sales clerk asks if he can help me. I inquire if they had any .22 Ammo. He said yes and gets the last box.

As he sets it on the counter, I ask him "Wow, you must be really busy now that you are starting to get .22 ammo in?" His reply was "No, these are what I am finding stuffed back in behind shelves in the back." I say "So, you're telling me that sales clerks and shelf stockers are the ones hiding them back?". He justs looks at me and smiles. Then he turns and picks up that yellowed paper and tapes it back up on the cabinet.

After leaving, I thought about it and recalled that I have not seen the usual store manager or the head of Sporting Goods there for a few weeks.

Some speculation on my part but, it all adds up.

Whaddya think?

I think manufacturers have put more priority on higher profit calibers, and people are still hoarding .22 ammo. What pi$$es me off is in Gander mountain they usually have a pallet of foreign made 9mm's in the aisle for shooting people but no .22's for shooting squirrels out of our bird feeder!

(quoted from post at 18:27:52 06/05/15) Some of the posters here talk about their local Walmart having .22 ammo. My closest store has been out since the shortages began.

Went in to town today. Stopped at Walmart to drop off script. Pharmacy says it will take 30 minutes to fill. So, went to sporting goods to check for .22 Ammo. Been doing this for a couple of years since the ammo 'crisis' began.

They have a, yellowed from age, sheet of paper saying "We are out of .22 Ammo" taped to the front of the locked ammo cabinet. Well, today the yellowed sign was not taped on the cabinet. New sales clerk asks if he can help me. I inquire if they had any .22 Ammo. He said yes and gets the last box.

As he sets it on the counter, I ask him "Wow, you must be really busy now that you are starting to get .22 ammo in?" His reply was "No, these are what I am finding stuffed back in behind shelves in the back." I say "So, you're telling me that sales clerks and shelf stockers are the ones hiding them back?". He justs looks at me and smiles. Then he turns and picks up that yellowed paper and tapes it back up on the cabinet.

After leaving, I thought about it and recalled that I have not seen the usual store manager or the head of Sporting Goods there for a few weeks.

Whaddya think?

I think that there is 'way more to the shortage than that, we're talking multiple millions (maybe BILLIONS?) of rounds here :shock:

(quoted from post at 17:48:56 06/05/15)
(quoted from post at 18:27:52 06/05/15) Some of the posters here talk about their local Walmart having .22 ammo. My closest store has been out since the shortages began.Pharmacy says it will take 30 minutes to fill. So, went to

Went in to town today. Stopped at Walmart to drop off script. sporting goods to check for .22 Ammo. Been doing this for a couple of years since the ammo 'crisis' began.

Whaddya think?

I think that there is 'way more to the shortage than that, we're talking multiple millions (maybe BILLIONS?) of rounds here :shock:

Believe or not the biggest problems are hoarders. Store gets .22 and they buy as much as they can even though they have thousands of rounds at home. A guy I went to school with, now a retired cop was bragging to me that he has "at least 30,000 rounds of .22, 10K each of 223, .45 and 9MM". And he isn't the only one. People are still in the panic mode over it.

As far as Wal Mart is concerned what happens is the department manager is supposed to pull stock from the back room and only order when stock is low. That way they don't have to have a large stock room. What happens is they see something is low and instead of checking the computer to see if there is any in the stock room they simply order more. When the get a good worker and they do check they find amazing stuff. My sister is one of the good workers. She tells some fantastic stories about some of the people she works with. Makes you wonder if they should even be paid minimum wage. Basically they only show up because they have to clock in to get paid.

Rick

oldtanker- I too worked at Walmart for a short stint. The store I worked
at was way different than the way you described your sisters time at her
Walmart.

I'll be back in a little bit to explain how the atore I worked at works.
Plus, I assumed that the majority of Walmarts operated in this fashion
(according to their training sessions).

I stopped in our local Walmart last night and checked on .22 ammo. Guy said I was an hour late. They had gotten 10 bricks of 333 rounds in, first 3 customers got 3 each which was their limit, 4th customer took the last one. Think he said they were Winchester 36 grain, and were $17.00 and change a brick. At least they said they had gotten some even though I was too late.

"As far as Wal Mart is concerned what happens is the department manager is supposed to pull stock from the back room and only order when stock is low. That way they don't have to have a large stock room. What happens is they see something is low and instead of checking the computer to see if there is any in the stock room they simply order more."

That's somewhat what happen at the store I worked at. Here is what I experienced: I was a midnight stocker. During training, we were shown how their computer system handles all orders to the distribution warehouse. Every item sold is recorded on the mainframe and at the end of the day the computer compiles all sold items and generates a new order to the distribution center. That way every item sold will (supposedly) be replenished the next day.

Tractor trailers and reefers containing items to be re-stocked are brought in mainly during the evening hours. The 'dock workers' unload pallets, already pre-segregated for each department, on the loading dock. Refrigerated items go into coolers/freezers.

Mid-night stockers come into the store with the pallets waiting on them in the aisles. It was our job to re-stock the items and empty all pallets before the end of our shift. Every now and then, there was not enough time in the shift to empty all pallets. So, morning shift would come in and have to finish the job. Pallets were a 'tripping' hazard for customers so we tried to get them out as quickly as we could.

When you see day and evening associates with buggies stocking shelves...that is usually stuff that has been returned to the customer service desk at the front of the store.

There is very little 'stock' in the back room as everything is very efficient on the ordering and delivery side. If a Manager feels that they may have something in the back that they may know about them the manager could help you. Generally though, if it's on the floor thats all they have. Except for TV's and some items in the coolers that have not been put out on the floor yet.

Managers don't place orders. The main computer system studies sales and trends and places the order.

Anyway, it's very easy for a stock clerk, loading dock worker or associate to remove things from the pallet and hide the item until they could either purchase the item or steal it.

I only worked there for a few weeks(wanted to have some extra cash for a toy) and walked off. It was miserable.

(quoted from post at 19:05:17 06/05/15) "As far as Wal Mart is concerned what happens is the department manager is supposed to pull stock from the back room and only order when stock is low. That way they don't have to have a large stock room. What happens is they see something is low and instead of checking the computer to see if there is any in the stock room they simply order more."

That's somewhat what happen at the store I worked at. Here is what I experienced: I was a midnight stocker. During training, we were shown how their computer system handles all orders to the distribution warehouse. Every item sold is recorded on the mainframe and at the end of the day the computer compiles all sold items and generates a new order to the distribution center. That way every item sold will (supposedly) be replenished the next day.

Tractor trailers and reefers containing items to be re-stocked are brought in mainly during the evening hours. The 'dock workers' unload pallets, already pre-segregated for each department, on the loading dock. Refrigerated items go into coolers/freezers.

Mid-night stockers come into the store with the pallets waiting on them in the aisles. It was our job to re-stock the items and empty all pallets before the end of our shift. Every now and then, there was not enough time in the shift to empty all pallets. So, morning shift would come in and have to finish the job. Pallets were a 'tripping' hazard for customers so we tried to get them out as quickly as we could.

When you see day and evening associates with buggies stocking shelves...that is usually stuff that has been returned to the customer service desk at the front of the store.

There is very little 'stock' in the back room as everything is very efficient on the ordering and delivery side. If a Manager feels that they may have something in the back that they may know about them the manager could help you. Generally though, if it's on the floor thats all they have. Except for TV's and some items in the coolers that have not been put out on the floor yet.

Managers don't place orders. The main computer system studies sales and trends and places the order.

Anyway, it's very easy for a stock clerk, loading dock worker or associate to remove things from the pallet and hide the item until they could either purchase the item or steal it.

I only worked there for a few weeks(wanted to have some extra cash for a toy) and walked off. It was miserable.

From what my sister says a department manger can go on the computer and order regardless o what was/wasn't sold. Her store manager allowed that to happen and he moved up to manage a super center. The next manager did the same thing. When that manager got canned for stealing then next one came and started making the workers do their jobs. They had a huge turnover because of that. My sister started on the floor and has worked her way into management. And I'm not saying it happens in every store just some. But that could explain someone finding some in the stock room.

Rick

I have got so that I don't look for .22 ammo at Walmart. I can find more .22 ammo at gun shops and on the internet. Any time I go past a shop that I know that handels ammo I stop in and you would be surprised where you will find .22 ammo.

It's hoarding, plain and simple, although I imagine that SOMEBODY will lose eventually their behinds on this. I guess there are families out there that are starving because the bread-maker is blowing his whole stash on inflated .22 prices.
Awhile back, I was talking to an acquaintance who is good friends with a large sporting goods chain store manager and the store is located in Nebraska. The store's name starts with the letter "S". My acquaintance told me that he walked into the store and talked to a few associates and asked each one if they had some .22 ammo. They all told him that they were out and that the store had no luck getting any. The buyer went to his buddy the manager and asked him for some .22 ammo. "Sure, how much do you want?" He grabbed a few thousand rounds (at an inflated cost, but this guy can afford it), paid for it at a register near the gun section and started to walk out. As he was walking out of the store, he quizzed another employee about the .22 inventory situation. "We don't have any." The customer then asked if they held any ammo for special customers. "Nope, the manager hasn't been able to get any anywhere!"
My acquaintance had a good laugh with that line.

This thread has made me very sad.

Not that people can not get enough .22 ammo.

That so many of you have to actually enter a WalMart for any reason.

I read an article the other day that explained the shortage. Basically it's what others have said, it's all cause by folks hoarding.

Basically the ammo mfgs are still making the same amount they always have. The reason they haven't ramped up production is that the margins on .22 are slim to none, or nearly so. That being the case, they put a priority on producing the calibers that they can make the most money on.

Too, the article says the mfgs are still charging the same wholesale price for the .22 as they always have, for the simple fact they know if they charge more there will be a HUGE public outcry, just as there has been every time they raised the prices in the past. Thus the reason margins on it are so slim. The only thing causing the price in increase are the hoarders that are buying it all up, therefore causing a false supply and demand situation, and then taking advantage of people stupid enough to pay their outrageous prices for it.

When people wizen up and realize that by paying $50 for a $20 box of ammo, all they are doing is making the 'shortage' go on longer than it needs to. Right now there are other calibers that are just as cheap, if not cheaper, to shoot than the .22 at it's inflated prices.

Find a nice 9mm, .223/5.56, or 7.62x39 or whatever, and have fun. With these rounds all going for around .20-.25 each, you can't go wrong.

NCWayne- The Winchester .22 LR 36 grain that I bought today cost 4.94 cents per round.

As for 7.62 x 39, I shoot a lot of them. WOLF steel casing is $9.99 for 20 rounds at any sporting goods store locally. Which equates to 50 cents a pop.

I try to buy by the case (1000 Rounds), but am often told that they can't sell in bulk.

Maybe, It's just my area.

guns and ammo are never shipped on wal-mart trucks also no drugs
the FFL HOLDER (FEDERAL FIREARMES LICENSE HOLDER)meets an un-marked truck and checks in eack gun and every box of ammo they are then taken to sporting goods and placed in the locked cases ,around bird season you will see some cases of bird shot stacked out
when you buy a gun at wal-mart the ffl holder or holders
will fill out the paperwork and then he will take his little radio and inform security that you are on your way out

The heck with Wal-Mart for many reasons other than .22 ammo. My local Co-Op has plenty of .22 ammo but it does not sell cheap clothing.

(quoted from post at 20:41:14 06/05/15) This thread has made me very sad.

Not that people can not get enough .22 ammo.

That so many of you have to actually enter a WalMart for any reason.

Bingo!!! My local Wal-Mart is pretty much sold out of all the popular ammo everytime I go, and to make it worse, there is never a sales person IN that dept. Always have to go find someone. Bad enough that I don't even go there anymore. I just visit one of the many on-line stores. The shipping fee is usually less than what it would cost to drive to Wal-Mart.

Here's an idea, a money maker I would assume. I've never ever seen reloading casings or lead for .22. I have no idea if it even exists. And there's my money making idea... Why not? If one can buy new brass, primers, and lead for a .38 and a whole lot of other calibers, then for whoever can machine the brass and lead and get the rimfire down for .22....multi-galillionaire over night. The next Warren Buffet. I'm just saying.

Mark

(quoted from post at 07:13:34 06/06/15) Here's an idea, a money maker I would assume. I've never ever seen reloading casings or lead for .22. I have no idea if it even exists. And there's my money making idea... Why not? If one can buy new brass, primers, and lead for a .38 and a whole lot of other calibers, then for whoever can machine the brass and lead and get the rimfire down for .22....multi-galillionaire over night. The next Warren Buffet. I'm just saying.

Mark

LOL Mark. You can load .22. Sense it is rim fire the primer and case are made together so you have to buy the cases. I know a guy who does it.

Rick

I got lucky and wandered through the sporting goods department at Fleet Farm in Beaver Dam Wisconsin as a shipment of .22 arrived on June 5th around 3.00 Pm. the 525 count boxes of Remington were $ 24 and change. I dont think any made it to the shelf .

From what I understand the shortage comes from apps you can get on your smart phone that tells you when .22 ammo is in your area. Walmart or any other store

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back