3-point dirt scoop

PALMER7959

New User
I recently purchased a used catagory 1 dirt scoop for my Yanmar tractor, my goal is to use it to dig a long shallow swale along my property down to the creek behind. I've been playing around trying to figure out how to adjust it to shave just the top couple of inches of sod & topsoil at a time, then progressively go a little deeper each pass.
I've found no instructions on-line yet how to adjust (even on the King Kutter website). Can anyone offer a website or a youtube video that explains it ?
Thanks

Is it a model that can be used both pointing/driving forward, and backwards? Most are. If so, for cutting non-loose material, it really needs to be turned so that you are driving forward, with the top center
3 point link shortened, so that it has a slight nose down angle. Control your 3 point height to enable/allow the scoop to only slightly shave an inch or two of the ground as you drive slowly forward. Do not
try to get the scoop totally full. If the ground is really tough, you can also raise or lower one of your lower 3 point arms, so that the scoop only engages the ground at a single point of the cutting edge.
Playing with different settings will determine how your tractor works best. One important thing though is to not just fully drop the 3 point as you scoop. After the scoop cuts in a little, you want the
weight to be held up by your tractor, and that will help get traction.

A reversible scoop can also be turned around, to be used in reverse (cutting edge pointing back). That direction tends to be used for moving loose material, as your tractor will generally not get as much
traction in reverse, as it does in forward.

Good luck, and get some photos!

As the others say, drive forward for much better control, the top link needs to be shortened so it slightly angles into the dirt, I mean slightly. Then control depth with the
three point lever so you are just skimming shallow.

For a lot of work, a hyd top link is really helpful, you can adjust the length of the top link on the go. On the other hand they can move a little on their own over time, and
so wont hold the same cut for an 8 hour shift.... but, still more handy with than without.

Paul

A pond scoop is handy but my first thought would be to use a box blade for that. Put the rippers down and adjust the 3 point lift arms so one is shorter so one side of the box blade sits lower.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back