3 point down drift...

I read here all the reasons why they drift down... and its probably just in need of a good overhaul BUT... what I found odd was it only started doing that once I changed the oil in the sump. It was the typical milkshake slop. I let it drain for a good week.. maybe 2 as I got busy and didn't get back it. I filled it with 4.5 gal of TSC UTF. I took the dipstick plate off and it all looked fairly clean in there.

With the dirty old oil slop in it, the arms would stay up perfectly fine, with the weight of a small back blade on it. Once I changed it, it lifts fine, holds fine. Near the top of the travel it makes a strange gurgling noise, if you listen to it hard. it has no problem lifting my hillbilly counterweight (a backhoe bucket on a set of forks full of scrap... brake rotors, tire chains, old wheel weights...) probably 300-400lbs at least. it lifts more and faster with clean oil in it.

But now, ya shut the tractor off and over about an hour, it slowly sinks all the way down from its highest point.

I'm not overly concerned at this point, I can lift the counterweight and chain it up, and go about my business using the loader. At some point I might have to move some round bales with it but thats unlikely.

I'm just curious to know if this maybe is normal after an oil change, maybe air in the system? maybe removing all the crud in the oil took away its leak stopping ability.... :lol:

Does it drift down with the engine running and the pto on? I dunno, I didn't leave it sit running like that to watch it. I drove it around for about 15 min with it all the way up with that weight on it and it didn't seem to drop...I should have taken more notice of it.

But anyway... Just wondering if this happens when ya change the oil for some reason.

I'll have to take all the weight off it and see if it drops with just the rack on it.... about 100# worth.

Exact same thing happened to me. Im just living with it.
Its not bad enough right now. I might try a heavier weight
next time as the TS UTF seemed quite a bit thinner than
whatever came out. But I might not. Let me know if you
figure something out.

Installing limiter/stabilizer chains that keep the drawbar/implement from fully sagging all the way down make this seem easier to tolerate ... and it's an inexpensive fix (cheaper/easier than rebuilding the hydraulic pump).

(quoted from post at 14:09:59 05/16/23) Installing limiter/stabilizer chains that keep the drawbar/implement from fully sagging all the way down make this seem easier to tolerate ... and it's an inexpensive fix (cheaper/easier than rebuilding the hydraulic pump).

Exactly...install limiter chains. By the way...why do you care if it drifts down after one hour with the engine not running? As long as it stays where you want it during engine run time is all you really need.

By the way...why do you care if it drifts down after one hour with the engine not running? As long as it stays where you want it during engine run time is all you really need.

Oh I don't really care, as you say it works while its running good enough. I was just wondering why it does it after the oil change and not before with crappy oil in it.

I like the 5 min rule... I'll take it.

Drift down normal even when new and with the correct weight oil that you
drained out and put thinner oil in so thinner oil will drift down faster.

(quoted from post at 22:15:25 05/16/23) Drift down normal even when new and with the correct weight oil that you
drained out and put thinner oil in so thinner oil will drift down faster.

As Leroy said, crappy old thick oil will leak out slower than new thinner oil. Simple ! It ain't rocket surgery.

The simple test is to attach a load like a mower or back blade or plow, raise the lift all the way up, leave it up, then shut down engine. Note height of load. How fast
the load drops is your indication how severe the system is worn, mostly the cylinder and piston need rebuild. A drop within minutes or hours is a sign of ER service ASAP.

TPD

A drop within minutes or hours is a sign of ER service ASAP.

TPD

Does it do any mechanical damage to use one that say... takes an hour to drop down to the ground, and ignore it and hope it doesn't get worse?

Because rebuilding the thing is not a job I have time for right now.

Maybe a good dose of lucas hydro conditioner and stop leak would magically cure it.
:lol:

(quoted from post at 08:15:55 05/18/23)
A drop within minutes or hours is a sign of ER service ASAP.

TPD

Does it do any mechanical damage to use one that say... takes an hour to drop down to the ground, and ignore it and hope it doesn't get worse?

Because rebuilding the thing is not a job I have time for right now.

Maybe a good dose of lucas hydro conditioner and stop leak would magically cure it.
:lol:

In a short answer, I would say no.

I don't know if your thin oil will do any dammage to the pump but it
would be like putting a 5 weight oil in the engine of your car that calls
for a 10-30 weight oil. Myself would get rid of that thin oil and put in
correct oil that would be in the 80-90 weight class. I do have both a 41
9N and a 44 2N that Dad bought new in may of 44. And I do know I would not
try using that thin oil in either of them. To me it would be like when I
had the oil changed in my truck always used 10-40 and did not use much and
good oil pressure. They put in I think 10-30 and oil pressure dropped
imideatly and started using a lot of oil. Got that thin junk taken out and
correct 10-40 put back in and pressure came back up and oil use dropped to
back where it was. The new hydrolic oil is not made for the old tractors
but the newer ones designed for water thick oil. Your choice but I would
get the correct oil. Correct oil wil better lube the pump and will also
not make the lift cylinder act like it had wore out rings on it.

If it takes an hour to drift down, make sure you set it on the ground when you park it. You don't want the dog sleeping under it when it starts to go down. Dogs like shady places to sleep.
:wink:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back