3594 water pump

karl h

Water pump was leaking out of the weep hole so I ordered a reman from Case (New ones were backordered). I cleaned the flange on housing with an abrasive disk on a angle grinder to get all the old gasket material off. I have a seep at the bottom of the pump and I have tightened the nuts as far as I dare so they don't break. Should I have used a flange sealant similar to what is used on the PTO housing or does anyone have a suggestion? The supplied gasket was just paper.

Could be your abrasive disc was a little too abrasive. It's easy to overdo that sort of thing, removing metal as well as gasket when they're really stuck on tight. I use them myself, but have learned to be cautious about how aggressive to be with it.

A thin paper gasket put on dry in that spot could easily allow some seepage. If it were me, I would remove it, try to find (or make) another gasket and install it with a thin film of Permatex High Tack. That seems to work best for me. Others may have different ideas.

Could be your abrasive disc was a little too abrasive. It's easy to overdo that sort of thing, removing metal as well as gasket when they're really stuck on tight. I use them myself, but have learned to be cautious about how aggressive to be with it.

A thin paper gasket put on dry in that spot could easily allow some seepage. If it were me, I would remove it, try to find (or make) another gasket and install it with a thin film of Permatex High Tack. That seems to work best for me. Others may have different ideas.
Thanks for the reply. I have been reading about anaerobic flange sealant but I believe if that is used it is recommended not to use a gasket as the metal to metal contact is what makes it cure. I have never used permatex high tack. Will it help seal a gap in an imperfect sealing surface?

It will if you use a paper gasket. It's not anaerobic, and is not intended for use without a gasket The anaerobic sealants I use are designed for use on machined metal surfaces (without gaps) and cure under pressure and the absence of air. I wouldn't use that in this case.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back