3600 Diesel - lower radiator hose heater

Billy NY

Well, that time of year again, and er umm the darned heater on this tractor seems to have burned out. I checked it with my multi-meter on the OHM setting to see if I could complete a circuit, now I forget the reading (digital) but when you touch the probes together it beeps, but neither the new one or the suspect one does that, though the new one reads .25 or something, don't recall what the old one read. Seems this is how I was told you can test a hot water heater element, aren't they kinda the same ?

Ok, well maybe I'll make it more complicated than it is, but I don't want to burn out the new one, old one was about 1 year old, one season of use.

Seems that I installed it correctly, it worked fine, now orientated as if you sat in the seat, lower radiator hose(on right) with element inside it pointing to the water pump/block etc. I am however, unsure which way coolant flows, but do know you must get the air out and get that thermostat open, or that element will fail if it is not immersed in coolant. I did notice that the low side (right side of heater to radiator lower tank) of the heater at the clamp where the hose was cut did leak a drop or 2, not sure, maybe it drained down low enough and the heater came on dry ? Level in the upper tank was ok, could not see fins, room for expansion etc. Tank does pressurize when it gets warm.

Not sure if the temperature gauge works, the needle has not moved in some time, did appear to work not that long ago, though it is on manure spreader detail, not really going to heat up, and in this weather, I assume I will have to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to get it to do so, I want to make sure that the thermostat opens and the air forces its way to the upper tank where it can be released, now I suppose I can loosen the upper clamp to make sure there is coolant at the element before it gets plugged in, check to see if coolant leaks out, then re-tighten. I have 120 volts at the end of 100'-" 12 ga. lead which is new, and it is set to go on by timer, usually 4 hours, is that too long for these ? I am told not to let em run continuous, well at 600 watts, no need to invest in the power company. It's a Katz, by Starr Mfg.

Kind of a conundrum here as I don't work there on weekends and I need this heater to work so the other person there has no issue starting it. It will start in the cold, just a little sluggish but will fire up in the 20's with no aid so I assume the motor has good compression still, must be around 4000 hours, meter still works. I think this had a manifold heater on it once, not anymore, have to wonder if that would be better to have. Yesterday it took one small dose of ether, today was much colder, same thing, then stalled, same small amount, started and ran. I do not like using starting fluid, even with upper cylinder lubricant, I certainly do not want the help using it, though I realize, a small dose would not wash the cylinders, better to leave that as a last resort for obvious reasons.

Would be nice to know which way coolant flows, once the thermostat opens, I should see some kind of flow in the upper radiator tank correct ? I did notice that the upper hose was warm after spreading 1 load, the left of heater section of hose was warm but the bottom side was cold, so I am, wondering if the cooled coolant comes up from the bottom, but might not be circulating ? T-stat stuck closed it would have to overheat or would it in cold temps, assuming it could be stuck open, that temp gauge needle would not move much if at all, like what I see now.

Well this 3600 is not in the best of shape, I like the tractor, and I hope to get to more repairs, leading to questions and some discussion here, but one thing at a time. Do appreciate any thoughts on the subject :) !

Coolant flows from the radiator bottom tank to the water pump and from the thermostat housing to the radiator top tank while the tractor is running and the t'stat is open.

If it were mine, I'd buy a frostplug heater and install it.

[i:654c4848f0]"If it were mine, I'd buy a frostplug heater and install it."[/i:654c4848f0]

Dittos.
Napa can look it up for you and sell you one.
I never cared much for tank heaters.

P1010009.jpg

Are you talking about the freeze out plug (frost plug) that is typical to most engine blocks, usually a shiny metal cap ? That thing in the photo, I assume sticks out, no way that thing fits in there, well all of it LOL ? I'd like to think that would be the best way to warm the block, would eliminate the potential air pocket/ heat element must be immersed scenario wouldn't it ?

Next thing I do need to check is that thermostat, after 1 load, like I mentioned above, coolant seemed warm in the hoses as described, but when I pulled the cap, there was a release of air from pressure, but not much and that coolant was like luke warm, either not worked hard enough to heat up in the cold or thermostat is staying open, probably have to see what happens when I block off the radiator. Napa is where I got the Katz lower radiator heater, I'll see if I can get one of these, and install it, what does it take to get that plug out and one of these in ?

On the same subject, think Napa carries the oil pressure sending unit ?, this one leaks quite a bit, darned thing is in there but good, wrench or socket might round it, maybe something like a craftsman multi size wrench that would cinch up on it, being brass and all, tried once to get it out, no luck.

Guys, thanks again !

With all the New Holland dealers in New York, why screw around with NAPA? You won't save much, if any $$. Those two OEM parts aren't expensive by any means.

True, Napa is pretty good around here, there is a warehouse and main store, the one in town near this farm, has excellent service at the counter.

We also have a CNH dealer not far from here as well, got all my brake parts for my 850 through em, cost was about the same, drums came from another source. Probably time to make a trip over there, I will have to put in that lower radiator heater, again, don't want em using ether, then I'll see about the frost plug heater & sending unit, parts guy there was also knowledgeable, ironic, to think we had a ford dealership and a 2 story parts room at one time.

I've bought them from both NAPA and NH. The list is about the same from both but I get a bit better discount from NAPA here so that's a bit cheaper... but nothing to make me go out of my way... Probably 35 bucks vs 40 bucks.
I definitely agree with installing the core plug heater over a hose heater.

Rod

I prefer tank-heaters. I use them on all my diesels and they work the fastest if hooked up properly. That being said, here's a list of the other heaters for Ford 3000 diesels.

Pre-1968 3000
Zero Start brand - 600 watt in-hose 1 3/4" diameter heater is # 3200004

Kats brand - lower hose 600 watt # 14700
Kats brand tank heater - # 13100, 1000 watts

1968 - 1970 3000
Zero Start brand - 600 watt frost plug heater # 3100065

Kats brand - 10609 or 11609 frost plug heaters ( 1 3/4")
Kats brand - lower hose heater# 14700
Kats brand - tank heater # 13100, 1000 watts

1971 and newer 3000
Zero Start brand - 750 watt frost plug heater # 3100112 1 1/2" diameter

Kats brand - 10610 or 11610 frost plug heaters
Kats brand - 4700 hose heater 1 1/2" diameter
Kats brand - 13100 tank heater - 1000 watt

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back