37b axle seals

John Nessler

New User
Hi, I have a 37 b with the long frame, serial 45221, and the power lift.
I am looking for the part numbers for the axle seals, felt seals, pto shaft seal and the gasket between the power lift and axle housing. Ive been reading about some discrepancies about seals and the axle case part number. B1134R vs B1174R. Its got me kinda confused. I dont have access to the tractor at my house, but will look at it this weekend.
The only number Ive found is for the axle seals, b399r. Im not sure if that is correct.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Yes, thats where I found the B399R. I wasnt sure if that was accurate since things change during model year runs, especially since mine is a late 37 with the long frame.

It sounds like you've looked at PC-676 for unstyled model B's. You should be able to find the part numbers for the parts you need. Axles are on page 26 and the pto shaft is on page 30. Just be aware of serial # breaks, info in the part description, and any footnotes at the bottom of the page.

The part number for the powerlift gasket depends on the serial # of your powerlift. If the serial # is PLB 29999 or below the p/n is A661R. If the PLB is 30000 or above the p/n is A1447R. If the gasket is still available from Deere the p/n may have been superseded by a newer p/n.

I noticed looking at the parts catalog that the part number for the seal is B399R. Scrolling over it says sub for AB718R.
I looked at both of these seals, they both have same inner and outer diameter, but their widths are different. B399 is .468 and AB718R is .375. I can find both. Do you think it matters which one I purchase?
Thanks

Don't know if this is the case for B399R but I've found that seals that are about 1/2'' wide are generally double-lip seals. They're typically used on gear pump shafts to keep oil in and air out or to keep to different oils apart. Deere has replaced them with single-lip seals

As an example, the input shaft seal for the live hydraulic pump on my '48 B was originally a double-lip seal. Deere replaced it with a single-lip seal and you needed 2 seals to do the job that one did originally.

John you probably already know this but when you replace the inside seals that are next to the bull gears make sure you take rags and soak up all the oil that is in that low area of the axle. Oil will settle there and if you dont get it out it will continue to leak out the end of the axles making you think the seal is still leaking. Paul

Ok, I got to look at the tractor this weekend.
The part number on the rear axle is actually B1134R.
This axle isnt listed in the JD parts book for serial # 45221.
Any ideas?

cvphoto128604.jpg

B1134R is a casting number, not a part number. Casting numbers are different than part numbers.
I can't find the number B1134R or 1134 in the unstyled B parts catalog, PC-676, numerical index.

I saw this same issue from posts years ago when I Googled B1134R. Another couple guys with late 37s or early 38s had the same casting number on the rear axle. It was never figured out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back