424 hydraulic pump update 2nd attempt

I am posting only because it may help someone i the future . Several weeks ago I solicited forum help with my 424 hydraulic pump . The pump number is on the pump and is a Thompson . The main issue is that the schematics/ diagrams provided by IH did not match the actual parts in the pump . The parts which were different were the spring and ball check valve mechanism .The diagrams all show a spring which pushes on a ball . My pump actually had a spring with a hook end which pulls on a disc . I searched the internet diligently for info and found one thread from years ago on this forum whereby someone ran into a similar issue . Like me, that poster thought he must have somehow lost the ball bearing. In reality , there is no ball bearing in the pump .
After much frustration I decided to order the kit from Steiner which matched my pump number . The kit arrived and contained the correct seal, gaskets , and two of the four o rings were correct . I was able to find two other o rings from a different source which would fit. I subsequently rebuilt the pump . By " rebuild " I simply mean that I replaced the seal, o rings, and gasket but did NOT do any machine work to the very worn pump parts . The result is that the pump problems are fixed FOR NOW. The original issue was that hydraulic fluid was leaking past the seal and into the crank case. I did not use a speed sleeve on the shaft but rather just did not slide the seal all the way back over the worn part of the shaft . I DID use an adhesive to lock the outer metal part of the seal into the housing . I have no idea how long this pump will work as it was very worn . I only use the tractor a very few hours annually and hopefully saved a few dollars versus spending $ 700 on a new pump for a tractor I use 20 hours per year . Moral of the story is the parts diagrams are not always accurate .

Thanks Warren, for the info. I have avoided touching the hydraulics on my 2424 for the 30+ years I have owned it, other than topping off the reservoir due to leaks on the wood splitter. Have not even changed the filters. I figure if it ain't broke.....Like you, I maybe put 30 hrs a year on it plowing snow, skidding firewood, hauling and splitting it. But it has less than 2500 original hours on it from what I know about it. The mechanics of that system are way beyond my very basic skills to mess with.

Tim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back