4240 hydraulic couplers leaking

ne_ranch

I did a quick search, unless I missed something, saw results from a few years ago. Both couplers are leaking, good Deere ends. One started leaking fairly bad somewhere out the bottom near the tractor (cylinder will settle with that leak, leak opposite side where hose end is plugged in). Don't have creeping up or down while running (pressure up or down).

As with anything, I don't have much time to ...do much of anything. I haven't had many hydraulic issues in the decades I've been using tractors. Basically, I figure I probably need to take them off and put in a kit, at least o rings, but while I have them off, didn't know if I should do more for good measure (wear items). Does anyone have a good suggestion of a kit to order? Deere directly? Or aftermarket? Specific name/part number so that I am sure it has ~most everything? Thanks. My Deere dealer was bought out, don't know anyone there anymore, not helpful the last time I was there. I think my tractor is an '81 if that makes a difference.

I see something like this, but don't know about the place, or if this is "right". https://www.external_link.com/breakaway-coupler-ovrhl-kit-a-ar82570/

Also, it has the power beyond coupler. Where that hose screws into the top of the coupler unit, anyone know the plug size? The hose also leaks a little, I don't use it.

PBY block hyd fittings utilize same o-rings(R26375) as standard 3/8 hyd hoses for remote cylinders. Breakaway coupler kit is AR82570. I suggest to pressure test SCV with a 5000 psi gauge to check for possible poppet valve internal leakage

mvphoto77949.png

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 07/05/2021 at 07:11 am.

Finally getting to work on this. Stupid question. I have the coupler out. In the very center, they have those snap rings that hold in the very center shaft (spring loaded). It is a smaller snap ring, no bend to get a snap ring tool on, it's like a thick piece of wire cut off, no ends at all to get a hold of. I compress the center to get pressure off the ring, but I can't get that snap ring out, spent hours at it, can't get anything under it strong enough to lift. I have a pick set, been prying around, trying to get something under the end to lift it any amount, screwdriver (I can get it sort of dug in an end, but, small enough screwdriver, I get it to bend before it even moves the ring, etc.). I have bad hands (they hurt and don't work right), so, I'm at my limits prying around with it. Like I said, I haven't had to work on them before. Is there an easy tool or method to get these out? I know I'm probably missing something obvious. I looked for youtube vids, only one I saw took it apart to that point, but said it wasn't leaking there so they didn't get into it. I don't know if mine is leaking there, but wanted to change everything out while I had it apart. Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back