4240 Quad Range with Loader

Alwaysgreen

New User
I have a 3020, 4020, and am looking to buy a bit newer higher HP tractor in good shape. Has a 158 JD loader on it, but I have not been around 4240's much, as I really was wanting a 4440, but they are almost impossible to find.

For all of you that own a 4240 Quad Range, 2WD tractor, tell me if this is a keeper or should I pass on this model. I can't really find anyone to tell me much, but knew I would find some useful information here. I plan to use this tractor to bale hay with mainly, so, any likes and dislikes would be greatly appreciated.
Alwaysgreen

Deere had everything right in the 4040,4240,4440 and 4640. Good solid tractors. I have a 4230 only because a
40 series was out of my price range at the time. Tom

A 4240 is a very stout tractor- heavier built than a 4430. The non turbo 466 is thirsty though. Dependable, but thirsty.

4240's are in hot demand around here, they have the same transmission and clutch as a 4440,,add a turbo to one and you get strong low end power,,I have one here now that I just put a turbo kit on..The 40 series are one of the toughest most dependable lines that Deere made

Got two 4240's around here. One is a '78 the other an '81. Both have around 7000 hours on them and both are Quad Range. The '81 has a Miller loader on it. Loader gets used for round bales, manure and snow. As far as I know both are stock (Grandpa bought the '78 new) the '81 has only been around for about 3 years now so I don't know the history on it. Both are dependable tractors and I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a 42. One major difference I've noticed between the two is the '78 has much better low end power and better throttle response as compared to the '81. For example when we haul wagons to town (pulling two Demco 365's) the '78 is a lot easier to get the wagons moving with. I can let the clutch out in B1 from a dead stop with the throttle almost on idle. The '81 cannot do that. It needs about 1/4 throttle or it will fall flat on it's face. Same thing when pulling the wagons up a hill on the road. Give the '78 some throttle and it takes off. The '81 is a little more of a dog.

I'm guessing the injection pump on the '81 isn't quite set up the same as the '78. They both sound different too. Wish I knew more about pumps and maybe I could tweak it a little.

(quoted from post at 08:08:49 11/22/23) Got two 4240's around here. One is a '78 the other an '81. Both have around 7000 hours on them and both are Quad Range. The '81 has a Miller loader on it. Loader gets used for round bales, manure and snow. As far as I know both are stock (Grandpa bought the '78 new) the '81 has only been around for about 3 years now so I don't know the history on it. Both are dependable tractors and I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a 42. One major difference I've noticed between the two is the '78 has much better low end power and better throttle response as compared to the '81. For example when we haul wagons to town (pulling two Demco 365's) the '78 is a lot easier to get the wagons moving with. I can let the clutch out in B1 from a dead stop with the throttle almost on idle. The '81 cannot do that. It needs about 1/4 throttle or it will fall flat on it's face. Same thing when pulling the wagons up a hill on the road. Give the '78 some throttle and it takes off. The '81 is a little more of a dog.

I'm guessing the injection pump on the '81 isn't quite set up the same as the '78. They both sound different too. Wish I knew more about pumps and maybe I could tweak it a little.

This is just that you have the advance set dufferently. The one with less low end response will probably run smoother at idle, and sound more like a 4430, the other one will bark more. The one that barks more has more advance.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back