450 Sqealing

cdd

New to me 57 Farmall 450 gas. Going through all the normal stuff done when you get a new to you tractor. I was running it a bit yesterday and after about 5 minutes I started hearing a squealing noise. More loud on the governor side of the tractor. I was thinking that is is the water pump, no leaks except at dry rotted hoses.
Could it be something else?

New to me 57 Farmall 450 gas. Going through all the normal stuff done when you get a new to you tractor. I was running it a bit yesterday and after about 5 minutes I started hearing a squealing noise. More loud on the governor side of the tractor. I was thinking that is is the water pump, no leaks except at dry rotted hoses.
Could it be something else?
Did you grab a fan blade (engine off, of course) and try rocking it front to rear to see if the bearing is loose? I've seen loose bearings without a leak.

Some of those old tractors had grease zerks on the water pump on the left side, not sure if yours does. Sure be worth giving them a shot of grease if it has zerks. Belt tight??

So I rocked the fan and not really any movement to speak of and put a couple pumps in the two zerks on the fan housing. The belt seems to be within the tolerance in the book. Less than one inch of slack.
I thought I had it with the zerks but the noise came back.

Is there an easy way to get that set screw loose on the pulley?
No. use your favorite juice, and a square socket and extension is very helpful. Moving the ring to loosen the belt is even more difficult (unless you are lucky. More juice, and tapping the bosses with a brass or aluminum bar and light hammer back and forth for a long time. Sometimes heating with a propane torch is needed, but that destroys the belt. Keep at it till it moves and beyond, or give up that idea and use a stethoscope to listen for the squeal! Jim

actually wasn't bad. but the noise was still there. Seems like it is in the center of the block, behind the carburetor or manifold

I have to ask, does this 450 have a separate power steering pump on it? Sometimes the old guys would put aftermarket pumps on them to give more hydraulic power to their implements, and they were usually up high under the hood on the carb side of the tractor. Those old pumps will squeal like heck when they go bad. Of course, if there isn't one you can completely disregard this! The only other thing I can think of is the generator/alternator is locked up and causing the belt to squall. Again, maybe not the case and hard to tell without standing next to the machine.

Mac

No separate ps pump. the alternator is on other side and moves freely.

What would be inside the block that could be doing that? Spun bearing on something? With fan belt off and still makes the noise it take the water pump out of the equation too?

Is this possible? "may have a leak in the intake manifold or carburetor gasket leaking, causing squeal like blowing across a piece of cellophane."
It is in that general location

With it running and squealing try spraying ether around the manifold gasket and carb. gasket. If you have a leak the engine will you know, picks up RPM's

Could be a bad bearing I suppose. Easy to check, just drain the oil and look for glitter.

Mac
Or stick a long stem magnetic retriever in the oil fill and move it around the bottom a little to see what sticks to the magnet. But a stethoscope will tell you quickly. If you don't have one then just put a long bar or ratchet extension up against it with the other end to your ear and it will pick up any bearing noise.

So the squeal will start about 5 min after starting, and when I shut it off it stops prior to the engine stopping its revolutions.

I've heard alternators have a sort of a whining squeal to them but not usually very loud more of a subdued lower level sound. A suppose a bearing could be going bad in the alternator though. Tappet cover off would tell if the rocker arms are oil starved. What is the oil pressure if good change it and no particles in the oil refil change filter cut open and look at then run it if an oil starved tappets they may just clean up with new oil. Our MD missed till we run it steady hauling manure when we got it. Had been setting on the dealers lot for a bit before we got it. Running it hard as we could on the spreader and changing the oil freed up the change over valve or whatever was causing the miss. Then would come back till run for awhile again. Since it was winter we just used it and in a month or so it cleaned up such that the miss was gone.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back