460 wont steer

Jhn

I bought a Farmall 460 (row crop) not running and had been sitting 5 years. It will not budge at all with the steering wheel . It has a Norden wide front and has some movement with a pry bar on the tires and seems it's stuck inside the bolster gear box. Why would that be? I'm thinking I'll have to take the radiator/housing cover off, hopefully it won't be too hard and see what's going on.

I bought a Farmall 460 (row crop) not running and had been sitting 5 years. It will not budge at all with the steering wheel . It has a Norden wide front and has some movement with a pry bar on the tires and seems it's stuck inside the bolster gear box. Why would that be? I'm thinking I'll have to take the radiator/housing cover off, hopefully it won't be too hard and see what's going on.
It could be a rusted in place Power steering cylinder. A service manual is critical for repair. Jim

have u jacked up the front end and then see what is happening? and if its all good up to the steering box. its not p.s. ?

have u jacked up the front end and then see what is happening? and if its all good up to the steering box. its not p.s. ?
I have not jack up but front tires move spindles are not tight. Sounds like jackalson is prabably right the power steering cylinder is prabably tight

Unless it has a western style steering with a cylinder on the side the front has a rack and a pinion in the front bolster I believe so unless the gasket leaked. Very unlikely to get water inside of it. I would suspect more like the steering shaft where ir comes down from the dash has set up somewhere along there. OR the bottom bearing on the pinion has rusted up which is also not very likely with it being up under the bolster I'de look harder at the spindles on each side and maybe even disconnect the tie rods from each and see if they turn.

I've been thinking since they designed these tractors so water can leak in the platform bolts where your feet go, theres water in in the hydraulic oil since the whole rear end is the hydraulic reservoir, so it prabably did rust tight from sitting.

I've been thinking since they designed these tractors so water can leak in the platform bolts where your feet go, theres water in in the hydraulic oil since the whole rear end is the hydraulic reservoir, so it prabably did rust tight from sitting.
i dont think so. have u checked the oil? and the hyd. filters? did u crack the drain plug at the rear ? have u started the tractor? nice to have some info .

here is your steering box inards.

Attachments

• IMG_5736.JPG
    IMG_5736.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
i dont think so. have u checked the oil? and the hyd. filters? did u crack the drain plug at the rear ? have u started the tractor? nice to have some info .
I checked the rear plug at the bottom and there were only a few drops of water, I cannot start the tractor since the injection pump needs work. Can you send me all the pictures in the book for the steering? Thanks

I checked the rear plug at the bottom and there were only a few drops of water, I cannot start the tractor since the injection pump needs work. Can you send me all the pictures in the book for the steering? Thanks
And the paragraphs

And the paragraphs
There are 3-4 universal joints between the steering wheel and the steering box on these. Any or all of them could be bound up. Much more likely than the internal steering cylinder rusting up from a few drops of water.

Gotta remember that the tractor would have had to run in order to circulate that water that gathered from the tractor sitting, to get that water up into the steering system. Think about that statement for a second. The water accumulated while the tractor was sitting. The tractor hasn't run. There's no way that water got anywhere near the steering.

There is also the possibility that the steering was broken and that's why the tractor was parked.

i am still just as confused reading your first post. have u actually moved this tractor or just jumped up on it and found the steering wheel is tight? tractor has to be running for the p. s. to work.

I have not jack up but front tires move spindles are not tight. Sounds like jackalson is prabably right the power steering cylinder is prabably tight
yes the spindles will move when in the air i am saying once jacked up, then follow the steering shaft with back and forth movement and find your problem. i cant see u joints seizing up solid. and that shaft rides in a bushing and those are usually worn right out so that is not the problem. need some help here as to what u are finding, i dont have my eyes and hands at your place. maybe water got into the top brg under the steering wheel and siezed that up,... then yes u will not be able to turn the steering wheel . but i dont know exactly what your asking or what is happening. does the steering wheel move any amount or just solid stuck???

That tractor will not steer stopped and not running. If you need to move it, that can be done easily by pulling it with an appropriate tractor or truck. You need to control the motion and do not know if the brakes work. The pedals might feel like they are applying, but are not going to actually even slow it down. The real issue is getting it running. Then the remaining things. Jim

see all this confusion with lack of info. it would have been a yes or no right off the bat.
$$// JHN $$// FWIW I appreciate that your opening description post was a bit more than two sentences, but not much. I like to say this to forum posters that accidentally leave out critical information that would help them in receiving a proper answer. REMEMBER, you are the only one there looking at the machine in question. You could hop on the seat and yank on the steering wheel, you could look at the injection pump and remember, yep that’s why it won’t run. We don’t see that, we only see the words you write. Just something to keep in mind. Also a little story about your tractor and the expectations helps everyone remember, “oh he has this tractor and he has done X and says he wants to do Y” It’s all part of becoming part of the “community” of sorts here. Best of luck with your machine!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back