4620 - thermostart?

posted a few times about slow cold starting with a 4620 - can b worked around using ether or block heater & starter / cables & batteries good, it cranks fast even when cold.

anyways - ive bough two thermostart flame start plugs & plan to drill / thread manifold on two of the intake branches right at the bottom bend (under intercooler) - does anyone see any issues with doing this? are the plugs likely to help?

If it is showing whitish exhaust smoke when cranking it probably has low compression due to worn liners,rings,and pistons along with the valves starting to recess in the head. If the head is redone with the proper valve standout,and the rings are good it should start down into the low 30's unassisted,or even the 20's if it has the high ring pistons. With the block heater plugged in for 2 hours before starting it should start at zero,without ether

Even with a 100% new spec 4620, it's normal to require a block heater at freezing temperatures or below.
Given the reduction in electrical system wear, reduced cylinder washdown, faster warmup and reduced fuel consumption. Why use anything other than a block heater and battery blanket/tender.

Which way are you going to install the heater, from the bottom or from the side? The ones I'm familar with that are used on fords must be horizontal or they will not work. Plumbing wise you will need to plumb into your return line and leave enough volume up high to feed the little heaters. You'll also need to add an electrical circuit and relay large enough to handle the current of both, but you already knew that.

They work well on our fords and our little john deere 750.

thanks Mike, was planning to install from the front (facing liners / pistons) so horizontaly.. all sorted with the fuel supply and power.
thanks for the other replies, I know a block heater works, been using it for a while now but it's way easier if I dont have to go to the tractor 2 - 3 hours prior to starting it...
anyone else have any thoughts on why the thermostarts might not be a good idea?

I think it would certainly help, but I have my doubts as to whether or not it would be the perfect solution. You stated that it cranks fast even when cold. I do wonder if this tractor is down on compression. If so, I would be worried that it would inhale and exhale the heated air so fast that it would be of no help to get it started. These tractors are notorious for not starting well unless they have been rebuilt.

I have 3 of them. One has a fresh overhaul and fresh pump re-build. The compression is so good that when it's very cold, the motor turns quick for about a half a turn and nearly stops on a compression stroke. If it has enough juice to push it past that point it will fire no problem.

Another of my 4620s is just the opposite. It is down on compression real bad. It cranks good but just doesn't fire well. If it's under 80 degrees, forget it. I figure what the heck, so I use the ether neck below the dash and give it a tiny whiff to get it going. Seems to be one of the seven deadly sins to use starting fluid, but jd put it on there for a reason.

My 3rd 4620 is a Powershift. Its hard to compare since it cranks a little slower.

I think it would be worth a shot but hard to say how effective it will be before trying it.

Define fast cranking speed. I think $20 spent on a destroking screw will give more bang for your buck. (Pun intended!)

you simply got low compression,al;l diesels start up when cranking fast like you say your does,the stroking in the cylinders is enough to heat up,and fire off,dont need to add no extra valves to tractor or do ant drilling into anything,how many hours are on tractor?

thanks for the comments. so i know not to use ether & glow plugs, it cranks fast, it has a destroke valve on hyd pump etc. the reason i plan to drill & install plugs is 1. the tractor has low compression due to age / hours but uses no oil and is reading 139bhp on the dyno & has good oil pressure so don't fancy a rebuild just yet! and 2. i want to be able to start at low temps without going to the shed a few hours beforehand to plug it in and 3. everyone i've asked reckons two thermostart plugs wont work so want to see if they are right lol

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back