4630 starter and hyd remote trouble

Hey all, since my last post, I got a new trans pump put in the 4630 QR, and had the pto seals tested. tested good. they said the original pump was pretty bad. Also the pto lever on the LH side was busted up, so they replaced that. so, PTO problem has been fixed it seems- to the next issue. I have a growing puddle of hyd oil in my shop, it's leaking out of the back of the very LH remote. all the remotes have been converted to pioneer. this leak is pretty bad, I'm going to have to get it fixed- will Deere have parts to fix a converted remote? who will and can I do it at home without special tooling?

Next problem is the starter, it's a factory style delco that takes 3 or 4 clicks before it wants to give in and crank. I'm planning on converting it to a gear reduction starter, but don't feel like giving Deere $400 for them to get one for me. On the web there's alot to pick from with varying costs. Any of you know a good brand to go with? maybe some to look at and some to avoid? this tractor needs to be reliable, I'm using it twice daily for feeding.

Ideas?

Thanks

DF

Unless there's an oddball problem like a cracked cast iron housing, without a remote coupler hose being plugged in the oil is either leaking past the check ball in the ISO coupler barrel or past the seals in the housing, a little annoying, but no special tools needed to replace those.

DEERE originally used an O-ring and a teflon backup washer (X2 per barrel) to seal those, now you get a "chevron ring" sort of thing that is not at all good.

The original O-ring and backup ring are still available from DEERE if you have the part #'s (which I don't have at hand).

DEERE GURU TimS (who frequents this site) has come up with a narrow and wide "quad ring" that work better than either the chevron rings or the O-rings. I expect he will chime in soon.

On the other hand, if the leak is from the actual ISO couple barrel check ball, buying the complete changeover kit consisting of two coupler barrels and associated parts is gonna be more reasonable than buying $$$ individual parts for one "barrel".

(ONE barrel costs about $135, for $35 more you get BOTH barrels, levers, etc. (RE12121))

As to the starter, (IMHO) the OEM Delco in this case did pretty good job of cranking, and (unless you like spending $$$) there's no reason to replace it just because of a worn solenoid.

The Delco # is 1115530, and replacements can be had for $25 and up on the 'net. Mother DEERE isn't even too bad... R11292 @ some forty dollars!

Also, verify that the solenoid on the front of the firewall on the LH side is making contact and sending full voltage to the starter solenoid.

Those can fail, as well, just leaving you with a "click" that gets blamed on a bad starter.

(quoted from post at 05:11:09 11/05/15) Unless there's an oddball problem like a cracked cast iron housing, without a remote coupler hose being plugged in the oil is either leaking past the check ball in the ISO coupler barrel or past the seals in the housing, a little annoying, but no special tools needed to replace those.

DEERE originally used an O-ring and a teflon backup washer (X2 per barrel) to seal those, now you get a "chevron ring" sort of thing that is not at all good.

The original O-ring and backup ring are still available from DEERE if you have the part #'s (which I don't have at hand).

DEERE GURU TimS (who frequents this site) has come up with a narrow and wide "quad ring" that work better than either the chevron rings or the O-rings. I expect he will chime in soon.

On the other hand, if the leak is from the actual ISO couple barrel check ball, buying the complete changeover kit consisting of two coupler barrels and associated parts is gonna be more reasonable than buying $$$ individual parts for one "barrel".

(ONE barrel costs about $135, for $35 more you get BOTH barrels, levers, etc. (RE12121))

As to the starter, (IMHO) the OEM Delco in this case did pretty good job of cranking, and (unless you like spending $$$) there's no reason to replace it just because of a worn solenoid.

The Delco # is 1115530, and replacements can be had for $25 and up on the 'net. Mother DEERE isn't even too bad... R11292 @ some forty dollars!

Also, verify that the solenoid on the front of the firewall on the LH side is making contact and sending full voltage to the starter solenoid.

Those can fail, as well, just leaving you with a "click" that gets blamed on a bad starter.

thanks for the reply Bob,

The leak is out of the back of the barrels of the one remote. As I said, it's been converted to pioneer, so the levers and I imagine the barrels aren't the same as the oem ones. Maybe the seals for the barrels are the same? Not sure on that-

As for the starter I want to ditch Deere's starter- I've got a gear reduction on my other 4630 and it's a much improved design over stock. Just hoping to buy another without having to donate an arm and leg to mother Deere.!

The seals are the same, and, likely the ISO conversion was from DEERE, as well.

Try A&I for gear reduction starter. Cheaper than Deere, and easier to install than a regular starter as you well know.

Got in touch with the Deere dealer today-

$370 for an A&I unit (denzo), and a couple hundred dollars more for a deere gear reduction starter. another $100 for the deere oem delco starter!

Got the same Denzo starter as offered by A&I for $125 delivered on Ebay.

sad sad sad.

As Bob mentioned get in touch with Tim S we purchased 3 sets of his o-ring seals earlier this year and what an improvement I need to contact him again and order some more

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back