'49 John Deere B Wiring

ajhbike

Going to install a one wire alternator (XH1042 magneto)...no ignition/kill switch.

I plan to run the wire to the ammeter and then directly to the battery rather that go through the starter stud that the PO had done. Anyone issues with that?

Biggest problem is some times a 1 wire alternator will slowly drain the battery so when you try to start it you can't due to a battery that doesn't have enough power to do so

Good morning aj, good question I plan to run the wire to the ammeter and then directly to the battery
rather that go through the starter stud that the PO had done. Anyone issues with that?

Wiring direct FROM the Ammeters SUPPLY side (Ammeters LOAD side wires to alternator) TO the battery will
work. NO ISSUES TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION With a big honkin battery cable FROM the battery down TO the
INPUT of a starter switch or solenoid, that location would also work (its practically the same as battery)
EITHER IS OKAY..

NOTE the actual starter input stud is typically ONLY connected to the battery when a start switch or
solenoid is engaged !!!!!!!! A starter switch or solenoids INPUT side is whats always connected to the
battery via the huge battery cable I TRUST YOU UNDERSTAND THAT RIGHT ?????? To charge the battery the
alternators output has to obviously get to it !!!!!!!!

Next if for whatever reason ? you should choose to place a disconnect means in the alternators charging
circuit (often NOT the case) to the battery or starter solenoid or switch INPUT, IT NEEDS TO BE RATED FOR
THE ALTERNATROS CURRENT which might be say 50 or more amps IE no wimpy low current say 10 amp toggle
switch.

Got it ???

John T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back