4960 Mfwd issue

So I got a 4960 that is stumping me with the 4 wheel drive.
Tractor was stuck in 4wd to begin with. I could not get 12 volts to the solenoid in any position of the switch. Long story short, switch had loose contact and was shorting against another wire. I replace the switch and it seemed to be fine for a bit. Stopped working again so I pulled the dash apart again and the circuit board for the indicator light had a wire that come unsodered. I resodered it and now I cannot the solenoid to disengage, I have 12vs now to the solenoid in any position of the switch, on or auto. I disconnected the indicator circuit board and the switch would work, 12v to solenoid when off, nothing when in on or auto. I got a new circuit board and same problem still, 12v to solenoid at all times.
Also, I've changed the brake switch harness and swapped relays. Fuse isn't popped this time.

I'm wondering if the tach shorted out when I resodered that circuit board, is there a way to test that? Do you guys have any ideas? I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall on this one. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Sounds like I would run a hot wire with a fues to the switch then a new one to the solenoid for the front axle and see how that works if does run it if not backt to the drawing board. At least you could test the function this way.

The brakes are also wired into the circuit. It engages MFWD when both brakes are pushed and interrupts the MFWD when one brake is pushed in auto. Not sure how that is all wired in. Just thinking of possible places for a gremlin to live.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back