504 Potential

I'm looking at a potential purchase of a 504 gas. I have not yet seen it in person, but I need to drive a ways to see it and thought I would ask for some feedback from here before going. What to look for in a 504, but more importantly I'm looking for a reasonable price. This is in eastern PA. The weights in the photo have since been removed and are not for sale. Listing says the tractor runs well, has a 3-point hitch (not yet sure if it is factory or aftermarket), TA works well, 1378 hours, and likely needs new rear tires. Seller wants $3,800 for it. The paint is interesting to me, since the white is not present. I guess someone repainted it years ago.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Not sure what this should be going for these days.

Thanks

cvphoto149070.jpg

cvphoto149071.jpg

560Dennis, I guess I haven't recognized what you see. The owner says he has used it since about 2010 to rake. He didn't mention anything about pulling. How can you tell it's been setup for pulling? I am looking for a general use tractor in this, plowing, possibly a loader. Not looking for a modified pulling tractor.

thanks

Well it was and economy model as it has the cheap seat , no fenders rear wheels may never been swapped for row crop or it worked VEGGy's and yep repaint . At some point in time the hyd hoses have been changed and cobbled up and the best i can see is more then likely it is a factory 3 point . Will it have P/S ??:? can't say . As for Price i am still suck on the way prices should be not what they are . My one friend had a 504 Diesel that he farmed with and it was one tough little tractor as he farmed 130 acres of crop ground with that and a H.

Wheels are set as narrow as they will go . Dual weights with fresh carriages bolts holding them together .
Tires have been run in reverse to sharpen the bars on concrete. Tire bars are worn for pulling ( could be a road tractor also )
This what Im seeing right off .
If I see the drawbar would be another sign . If it has a (3 1/2 ) loop for chain .

Thanks to you both for the replies. I guess what vet says explains why it looks a bit strange to me, having been modified. If it has been pulling I suppose this means it could be a bad idea to trust the engine is in good shape. Maybe i'm wrong. Would you guys both steer clear of this then? i have a lead on a 424 utility that I may also look at soon.

I maybe off base but I can't see why anyone would pull a gas 504. It has an engine based on the A thru C family, small cube 4 cyl engine. I believe it is sleeve less so pushed out to maximum 153 cu inches. It is fairly heavy tractor based on the H, 300, 460 frame with a small engine. Should be a handy tractor but not a main tillage one.

I don't see pulling set up. I see 60 inch setting for 30 inch rows. Tires will wear and look like that as they wear down close to the base of the tire. We have a 674 that the tires look like that on it or they did . I put a different set on it since the old ones were cracked so bad in the sidewals they would pick up hat stems as you drove along raking. IF they were pulling with it they probably would not have the 3pt on it.

The engine is the least of your worries if it was used for pulling. That's a big IF.

Only reason to use a 504 gas to pull is to be "different." It's too heavy for the light weight classes where it would perform well given its power output. It's too low on power for the weight classes it can make, and there's not much you can do to the engine.

What I see is a tractor that hasn't received the best of care over the years. It'd be nice if it had fenders. $3500 is a lot for what I see.

not saying it wasn't used as a puller, but when I have one of mine ready to hook, those carriage bolts extend aboout 8 on the inside for half weights, and 12 on the outside for easy/quick adding/removing full weights. the tires do look like they have road time on them, but as mentioned, a 504 is not usually a go to as a puller. be a handy tractor to have especially with the hitch and the TA, but I think it's about $1200-$1500 high

Pete, thanks for this. Since I know nothing about pulling this is helpful in trying to decipher whether is was/is a puller. And the price is also helpful. I don't know if I could get him down to $2,300, but it will help knowing what can be expected these days. Thanks

Caterpillar Guy, thanks for this. I figured initially the tires were like that for an ag reason, but I didn't think of pulling until it was mentioned here. Good to know there is still a likely reason for this. There is no photo in the listing of the rear, so I will verify the 3-point is still on before going. But he says it is. Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back