5288 MFD STEERING

Hard steering. Has always turned hard in my opinion. Oil supply to steering hand pump is 5 gallons per minute at 1100 rpm and 2150 psi. With front axle on the floor it takes 50-60 inch lbs to rotate the steering wheel the four turns stop to stop. Jack it up and it takes 25-35 inch lbs. This may not seem like much but it is a lot harder than you think. The hand pump has a new shaft seal and a new rotor seal sleeve torqued properly and rotates on the bench 9-10 inch lbs. While the tractor is in motion makes no difference. The rotor sleeve retainer for this application is 1.879 inches long. Will a different hand pump with a 25% shorterrotor make it easier to turn and increase the total rotation stop to stop by the same 25%? IH has never had (in my opinion) the greatest power steering. Of the many IH tractors that I have been around this is below average. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Happy and good new year to all.

With the wheels off the floor, it should be near zero effort to turn the wheels. In my opinion, there is something binding the steering. If you use a fish scale to turn the wheel, from lock to lock, does the amount of force change as it goes through its range. Jim

The torque is very consistent thru the left to right turns. I wonder if the ball and groove that moves the spool is worn and might be on the verge of manual steering.

While this tractor is WAY to new for me as i have never even sat in the seat of one and have no books to even go into if you are flowing what you say and your pressure is at that PSI i would look into the bearings on the hubs , tire inflation , binding in the piviot points . And NO MOST I H's do not steer with one pinky finger , of all that have passed thru my fingers only one has the steering of a john Deere as to ease of steeringand that one is the RAG 806 that i have now . Why this ratty old 806 steers so well i have no idea as i have never looked into WHY i just enjoy it . If the day ever comes that i have to get into the MCV then i will look into why and how come this one steers 80% better then the rest . Ft axle load , bad bearings/ Bushings , tires and maybe even the steering cylinders . It is NOT your hand pump flow or pressure .

TV,my 1456 steers like a 4020. The 826 is a close seond. The 1256 is hardest of all,it is kind of draggy. The 706 is somewhere between the 12 and 8.

Glen, since you didn’t get a real definitive answer here I would recommend posting this on AgTalk. Machinery Talk. Seems to be some folks that are very knowledgeable on newer tractors on there. See link.
AgTalk

Yes I did that. No response from there either. I suspect not very many have taken a hand pump apart and have no clue how they work or where the ball and groove are at. Thank you Glen

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back