550 PTO MORE INFO.

lenray

If you remember the PTO is in the disengaged position , but the PTO continues to turn. Can't move the stub shaft that is hooked to the rod that also goes to the clutch pedal. Stuck in the disengaged position..
A non Oliver guy suggested..... Put the tractor in gear and rotate the PTO shaft with a pipe wrench. Doing that the 550 tried to move forward as I rotated the PTO shaft. It finally broke loose and I was able to rotate the PTO shaft without the tractor moving ahead. Still can't get the PTO out of the disengaged position. The PTO turns while the tractor is running...
WHAT ARE YOU FELLAS THOUGHTS?????

I would do a Z split and replace the PTO clutch pack. There is very little chance that your PTO will work properly without a rebuild. I realize that isn't what most would want to hear but honestly your disc are probably just toast. Mine crumbled apart as I removed them. You'll want to replace a bunch of seals while you are in there to prevent oil leaking onto the new clutch pack. Korves Oliver sells a PTO seal kit that is very complete. Good luck and please keep us posted.

I have a 550 also. I rebuilt my clutch and resealed everything inside bell housing. The pto still turns when disengaged. I can easily stop it with a 2x4. That is generally the case with 550s. Hook it up to some pto driven equipment and run it for a bit. Then check it out.

If you have to split it Leonard, it's not near the job that your mind will make it out to be. Unbolt it where the blue tape is in the picture. Just be sure to take the front axle braces out of the sockets and there's a little plate underneath that spans both halves. Takes a 7/16 wrench. Just one of those jobs where the dread is way worse than the job. I've got to where I can split one in about 20 minutes.

cvphoto122416.jpg

cvphoto122417.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back