555 grill screen

Factory grill screen is 1/8. Hydraulic oil tank (painted red) is mounted behind the grill. With the course screen the tank is quite visible in behind the screen. Was thinking that going with a finer screen would help hide the reservoir and look a lot nicer. Your thoughts? What have you guys done?

John

Hey John. Is your screen in good shape. Maybe send me some pictures. I might be interested in buying it from you if your not going to use it. The one on the 55 that Im working on is quite damaged. I have run some without the screen when they are in bad shape. My vintage tractors are not subjected to much dust or chaff/straw. Thanks John.

Hey Kevin. My screen has a hole in it. On mine looks like there is basically zero clearance between the tank and the grill and vibration must have wore a hole in it, Also there are three small holes where the clips that fastened the molding went through. Regardless of what I decide on the screen courceness I'm gonna try and replace it. If I find some new stuff and if my old screen is in better shape that yours you can have it! Or if I have to buy twice as much as I need I'll give you what I don't use. I'll keep you posted. Also the screen on my tractor is about 1 1/2 narrower at the bottom that the top. I'll send you some pics of the old stuff

John

Photos from the buyers guide ....but....sometimes photos are enhanced for clarity.

Ben
cvphoto151766.jpg

cvphoto151767.jpg

On my 55 the screen is on the outside of the grille. No sign of one being on the inside at all. Of course there is no chrome molding on the grille of the double numbered Massey Harris tractors. Ill probably try and repair my screen or find another one. Thanks John. You can still send me pictures as time permits.

It's a good reference, but there are still different opinions on colors....some say the air intake stack on the triples should be engine colour bronze, but this booklet shows them as silver....the older guide I have shows the intake stack on the 33, 44 and 55 series as red, but most I've seen are black....1947 models show a black painted engine but most I've seen are red....including a 1947 55 that I had, it still had the commemorative 150th year decal on the hood.

Ben

I had a look on my 444 and the screen is on the inside anc its yellow. But really faded its an original tractor, so thats the way it came.

Good morning centash. My 1938 Massey Harris 25 is in the process of being painted as we speak. Would you have a brochure or pictures that would help regarding the color of the intake stack etc. And maybe a picture or illustration of the plumbing coming from the small gasoline tank and the water tank. Weve got it pretty much figured out just not 100%. Thanks for the pictures earlier in this thread and have a great rest of the Easter weekend.
cvphoto151914.jpg

cvphoto151915.jpg

I don't have much in advertising for that Era and most of it is black and white. The brochures were often touched up from the factory images, especially the older prints which were not photos but a copied image of sorts and then colored....for example, the image shows the wheel hubs on the 33 and 44 and 55 era painted red and nearly all I have ever seen are the same color yellow as the wheel. A Google search of Massey harris 25 shows a lot of pictures, original and restored, so I guess you can take your pick! Some of those tractors may have left the factory in different color schemes due to shortages and production line changes at the time. Good luck with your estimation, looks like a hood start.

Ben

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back