605 power plant on a sawmill

Tontoe777

New User
Hi I resently bought a old sawmill with a moline power plant on it I believe it’s a 605 it’s been setting for at leas ten years or more and I’m trying to get it going but having problems I first tried to run it on vapor but it would not hardly run at all only idol speed and now I have liquid going to vaporizer and when I tried to crank it the first time I turned my valve on just before the vaporizer and could hear gas going into engine I cranked it for few seconds and poof shot flames out the oil bath breather and around wher the exhaust manifold bolts to the head so I shut gas off and had someone turn valve on while I cranked it over and got it to start but it began frosting up at vaporizer all way to carburetor I have never messed with a lot engine so any advice would or appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1310.jpeg
    IMG_1310.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1312.jpeg
    IMG_1312.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
Hi I resently bought a old sawmill with a moline power plant on it I believe it’s a 605 it’s been setting for at leas ten years or more and I’m trying to get it going but having problems I first tried to run it on vapor but it would not hardly run at all only idol speed and now I have liquid going to vaporizer and when I tried to crank it the first time I turned my valve on just before the vaporizer and could hear gas going into engine I cranked it for few seconds and poof shot flames out the oil bath breather and around wher the exhaust manifold bolts to the head so I shut gas off and had someone turn valve on while I cranked it over and got it to start but it began frosting up at vaporizer all way to carburetor I have never messed with a lot engine so any advice would or appreciated
If you're not familiar with propane you start on vapor and switch to liquid when warmed up. You should not have free flowing gas going into the engine you're vaporizer is bad it needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Ok should I have a filter on it before vaporizer ? And when it flamed up on me it was burning around where the intake and exhaust manifold bolts to the back jug would that mean I probably have a bad intake gasket there that’s causing a vacuumed leak also?

Also there is a tube coming out of carb with a 90 on it and a line that comes off up by the intake it has been crimped off should those have a hose that connect the two together or where should they go the bottom one has a jet behind it so I would think it would be sucking air in there

Also there is a tube coming out of carb with a 90 on it and a line that comes off up by the intake it has been crimped off should those have a hose that connect the two together or where should they go the bottom one has a jet behind it so I would think it would be sucking air in there
You can run without filter. I am not sure what fitting and tube, it is hard to say about the gaskets with propane free flowing you are flooding the engine so it could be an exhaust leak.

Ok thank you very much it does kinda sound like there is an exhaust leak there somewhere at first I thought it might be a knock but listened with stethoscope and couldn’t hear it that way I’m ordering a kit for vaporizer today and will go ahead and get gaskets as well I’m not sure about those fittings a guy told me it needed a balance line I thought that might have been where it goes it’s so old I havnt found anyone in my area that knows anything about it at all where the choke cable hooks to the bottom of carb when I cleaned it out that gasket broke so I just made one with some gasket material I had hopefully that will be alright

Ok thank you very much it does kinda sound like there is an exhaust leak there somewhere at first I thought it might be a knock but listened with stethoscope and couldn’t hear it that way I’m ordering a kit for vaporizer today and will go ahead and get gaskets as well I’m not sure about those fittings a guy told me it needed a balance line I thought that might have been where it goes it’s so old I havnt found anyone in my area that knows anything about it at all where the choke cable hooks to the bottom of carb when I cleaned it out that gasket broke so I just made one with some gasket material I had hopefully that will be alright

I always heard that one could not mix Impco and Ensign components. When I switch to Inpco I use both the regulator and the carb

Does anyone know what gasoline carb would work to convert it over to gasoline ? And what brand vaporizer do I need to get if improving doesn’t work with this carb ? Thank everyone for the info I’m waiting for rebuild kit for my vaporizer now about ready to just swap it over to gasoline tho

Does anyone know what gasoline carb would work to convert it over to gasoline ? And what brand vaporizer do I need to get if improving doesn’t work with this carb ? Thank everyone for the info I’m waiting for rebuild kit for my vaporizer now about ready to just swap it over to gasoline tho

Attachments

• 20240528_151146.jpg
    20240528_151146.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
I put the rebuild kit in the vaporizer and tried it and still net wanting to run the vaporizer didn’t let anything through when opened valve but after starting it and it died the vaporizer was still shooting propane into motor so something is sticking I guess?

Thanks for the help on it I am thinking I might have a vacuumed leak at intake and head any ideas on good way to check that for sure

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back