880 Thermostat question

LandonT

Hi all,
still battling and learning about cooling on the 880 gas as it is still running hot this spring. I got the shop manual and learned:
1. Radiator should be full to 1.5 below bottom of filler neck
2. I have a non-pressurized radiator. It should be a pressurized system on the 880 (per manual)
2. I have the 'Standard-Thompson' thermostat, with the separate shell and 3/16 thick rubber ring that sits on top...

Some thermostat shells must be oriented to enable the right flow, is this style with the shell one of them? I don't recall seeing a 'FRONT' stamped on it.

Then the other question is the correct sequence of assembly...is this right?
-Place flat gasket on lower water housing surface
-Place thermostat over the gasket
-Place shell over thermostat
-Place 3/16 thk rubber ring over shell.
-Bolt down upper howsing.

Thanks for the help as always.

Fleetlines had non-pressure radiators, and the originals were one less row of tubes than later ones, which means there are two reasons for overheating.

I see an ad at Worthington Ag Parts, shows the shell on top of the thermostat...
https://www.worthingtonagparts.com/Case-IH-Radiator-Thermostat-NEW-WN-313942R92

Does the 3/16 thick ring go on top the shell or between the thermostat and the shell?

Thanks.

Saw another picture with the thermostat on top the shell, I think this is how it must work with a thermostat that does not have two flanges.
Flow is Out of the head, around the shell, through the slits under the thermostat and back to the pump as bypass to the radiator. The 3/16 ring seals the volume around the shell from going to the radiator.
Then when thermostat flange opens and moves down, the flow around the shell is forced into the slits, but the thermostat valve is below the slits, and coolant travels to the radiator.
I will try it with thermostat above the shell!

If you mean the thermostat, it does not nave a 1/8 hole. I checked it this weekend and it was installed thermostat above the shell.
Cleaning off the fins and flushing the block some more, and filling to 1.5 below top of the tank some more helped, I mowed for a good 5 hours today, it stayed at 195 most of the day.
I can feel the fan blowing heat coming off the radiator.
I'd like to find a real bypass thermostat wtih the two valves like original.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back