8N 1950 Side mount

usedcarguy

Finally after spending months in St Louis MO, I am back in Michigan. Got the almost 10 yr old project rolled out of the garage and fired it up....but....it does not like to keep running. Just in case it could be a carb issue, I swapped the carb from my 1950 front mount and it still runs like crap. It only ran about 10 years ago when I drove it into the basement garage and put a tarp over it. Since playing with it, I have put on a 12 V conversion kit. All new wires on the outside but I have never touched the motor. It is my first side mount. Anything I should be looking for? One odd thing, the oil pressure gauge does not like to build pressure.

Any thoughts?

Finally after spending months in St Louis MO, I am back in Michigan. Got the almost 10 yr old project rolled out of the garage and fired it up....but....it does not like to keep running. Just in case it could be a carb issue, I swapped the carb from my 1950 front mount and it still runs like crap. It only ran about 10 years ago when I drove it into the basement garage and put a tarp over it. Since playing with it, I have put on a 12 V conversion kit. All new wires on the outside but I have never touched the motor. It is my first side mount. Anything I should be looking for? One odd thing, the oil pressure gauge does not like to build pressure.

Any thoughts?
Oil pressure could be a pump needing to be primed. As for the running check that you have a good blue/white spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap. Next pull the carb drain plug and make sure you have a good steady flow of gas that will fill a pint jar in less then 2 minutes. Then if those are okay pull the air cleaner tube off and see if it will run correctly that way. If it does the air cleaner is clogged or full of water where the oil should be

Any thoughts?
"doesn't like to", but will under protest, or simply shows zero?

Ok. did not take it off the gauge but did disconnect it where it has it's connection 12" away. NO oil comes out. What is the next best spot to look at or have we advanced to dropping the oil pan?

Ok. did not take it off the gauge but did disconnect it where it has it's connection 12" away. NO oil comes out. What is the next best spot to look at or have we advanced to dropping the oil pan?
chances are u will not need to drop the pan. but having never primed a sidemount, i have no clue if there are differences. stay tuned.

edit: oil SHOULD have come out of that fitting. treat your engine as one that's not circulating oil anywhere until proven otherwise.

The easiest way to prime is with a pump type oil can through the line to the gauge. Pump in 1/2 pint or so. Then crank and the oil you put in should come back out. If you get more out than you put in, it should be good. If you get less than you put in and then air, the pickup tube is most likely loose.

The most often recommended method is to put oil in through the pressure relief hole. It is in the front timing cover, a large hex head that has the spring and plunger behind it. You need to get the oil all the way into the hole the plunger closes off when pressure is lower than max. Otherwise it is just going back into the pan and not getting into the pump. I find it is hard to get to, I just disconnect the oil line from the gauge and put it in there.

If you have a piece of 1/4" fuel/brake line you can just put that where you disconnected the line to the gauge and put the oil in there. If you do not have a squirt oil can, if you have an old inline plastce fuel filter 1/4", you can cut one end off, pull the filter out, and attach that to the 1/4" line going to the "tree" where you disconnected the line to the gauge with a piece of rubber fuel line and use the filter shell as a funnel. Just pour some oil in, let it go down, pour more, let it go down, until you feel like there should be a cup or so, that is all that is needed to get oil into the pump so it will seal and pull oil from the pan. Then you can reconnect the line to the gauge, crank until some pressure shows on the gauge. Then you can start the engine and should see oil pressure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back