8N generator not charging

katykaty

New User
Generator had new field coils installed and now doesn't charge. If the ends of the field coils are connected backwards, would that stop it from charging?
When bench testing w/case connected positive, when applying negative to armature (A) connection the unit motors same direction as on the engine, if negative is also applied to the field (F) connection the motoring slows down. Any and all help much appreciated. FWIW there is also a new voltage regulator.
Ken

(quoted from post at 17:03:01 06/15/23) Generator had new field coils installed and now doesn't charge. If the ends of the field coils are connected backwards, would that stop it from charging?
When bench testing w/case connected positive, when applying negative to armature (A) connection the unit motors same direction as on the engine, if negative is also applied to the field (F) connection the motoring slows down. Any and all help much appreciated. FWIW there is also a new voltage regulator.
Ken
onnect F to case(+) and see if motoring speeds up.

(quoted from post at 14:18:48 06/15/23)
(quoted from post at 17:03:01 06/15/23) Generator had new field coils installed and now doesn't charge. If the ends of the field coils are connected backwards, would that stop it from charging?
Ken

Tried that and armature slows down and reverses direction and turns real slow.

(quoted from post at 17:59:15 06/15/23)
(quoted from post at 14:18:48 06/15/23)
Ken

Tried that and armature slows down and reverses direction and turns real slow.
do also expect fields are not wired
correctly.

Thanks for the reply, I have to go out of town for a few days, when I get back I'll reverse the field leads and give it a try and report back.

Ken

Due to position and wire length, that may not be as easy as you think. In the photo, you see a wire emerging from the winding near outer edge and on the other from the inner edge of winding. Here, at bottom (where we can't see in picture), the inner of left is connected to outer of right. This is to yield the correct magnetic fields and may mean unbolting and re-positioning of the fields. Another photo to illustrate that they do not all look alike. The desired result is one pole is a North and the other is a South, which is tied to which way current flows thru coils.
H6AVI4E.jpg

gbsLqV5.jpg

Update, the new field coils had lots of length on the connection leads so wasn't much of a problem to reverse them. After reassembly we connected the case to battery + and the A terminal to battery - , unit motored nicely, then put a jumper from F terminal to battery + and unit slowed down but continued to run. Put generator on the engine and fired it up, generator is putting out but there seems to be a problem w/the regulator. Now I have to find out how to check/adjust/set up the regulator.

Still smilin', Ken

(quoted from post at 22:02:12 06/21/23)
Update, the new field coils had lots of length on the connection leads so wasn't much of a problem to reverse them. After reassembly we connected the case to battery + and the A terminal to battery - , unit motored nicely, then put a jumper from F terminal to battery + and unit slowed down but continued to run. Put generator on the engine and fired it up, generator is putting out but there seems to be a problem w/the regulator. Now I have to find out how to check/adjust/set up the regulator.

Still smilin', Ken
reat! I am really surprised that a gen shop would make such a mistake! What is unusual VR behavior?

Great! I am really surprised that a gen shop would make such a mistake! What is unusual VR behavior?

Using an old analogue VOM for testing purposes.
The battery is a little weak from multiple starts, ~6V, but when the engine is started the "field" relay pulls in so the generator is not charging. If I jumper the field terminal to ground the generator starts to charge, indicated by battery voltage increase. I was contemplating bending the spring tab to increase the spring pressure to hold the field relay from pulling in. Don't know if this is correct thing to do.

(quoted from post at 11:45:45 06/22/23) Great! I am really surprised that a gen shop would make such a mistake! What is unusual VR behavior?

Using an old analogue VOM for testing purposes.
The battery is a little weak from multiple starts, ~6V, but when the engine is started the "field" relay pulls in so the generator is not charging. If I jumper the field terminal to ground the generator starts to charge, indicated by battery voltage increase. I was contemplating bending the spring tab to increase the spring pressure to hold the field relay from pulling in. Don't know if this is correct thing to do.
t may be operating exactly as designed. The field contacts have dual controls....high battery voltage will open them AND too high a charging current (as into weak/bad battery) will also open them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back