8n steering shaft and nut box issue

conners

New User
I posted here back in early February as I was having problem with my steering on 1952 model 8n. I was able to take the entire steering assembly off the tractor to have someone repair it if possible. The issue I was having was the steering wheel was free spinning which indicated that maybe it was a steering shaft and nut box problem. Sure enough the nut box had broken and the ball bearings had all come out through the tubes that are bolted to top of nut box. I ordered a shaft and nut box assembly part number 8n 3575B. When my mechanic was getting ready to install it he noticed that the spiral with the nut box attached was about 1 inch or more shorter than the original shaft. The total length of the new shaft is same length as old shaft but the spiral on new one is different. Also the width of the spiral bands on new shaft is narrower than old shaft. He tells me this will not work. This was aftermarket shaft and looks like every other after market shaft I have looked at. Has anyone got any suggestions? The photo shows the difference of the two shafts as I described. My tractor has serial 370496- later model.

trying to show photo of the two shafts.
a219168.jpg

Thanks, I did call them and they just said to return it. They said they had not had any complaints from the ones they had sold. I am looking for other suppliers and i'll measure the spiral length on my old one and then try to talk to the next supplier and make sure they are the same. I just wonder how many aftermarket manufacturers there are.

It looks like the replacement shaft would need to be matched with a replacement nut assembly. I have seen places like our host warn that the replacement parts do not fit the original steering gears.

Bearings going to ride different location too :)

Note the spiral lands n groove width.

Nut box.. I like it.

Sounds better than ball nut. :)

(quoted from post at 18:51:53 03/10/16) I posted here back in early February as I was having problem with my steering on 1952 model 8n. I was able to take the entire steering assembly off the tractor to have someone repair it if possible. The issue I was having was the steering wheel was free spinning which indicated that maybe it was a steering shaft and nut box problem. Sure enough the nut box had broken and the ball bearings had all come out through the tubes that are bolted to top of nut box. I ordered a shaft and nut box assembly part number 8n 3575B. When my mechanic was getting ready to install it he noticed that the spiral with the nut box attached was about 1 inch or more shorter than the original shaft. The total length of the new shaft is same length as old shaft but the spiral on new one is different. Also the width of the spiral bands on new shaft is narrower than old shaft. He tells me this will not work. This was aftermarket shaft and looks like every other after market shaft I have looked at. Has anyone got any suggestions? The photo shows the difference of the two shafts as I described. My tractor has serial 370496- later model.

Help me out here. Exactly why won't it work? The pitch of the ball screw and nut shouldn't matter. The over all travel on the ball nut is slightly less but that may not be an issue as long as you get adequate turning angle at the wheels.

TOH

(quoted from post at 18:51:53 03/10/16) I posted here back in early February as I was having problem with my steering on 1952 model 8n. I was able to take the entire steering assembly off the tractor to have someone repair it if possible. The issue I was having was the steering wheel was free spinning which indicated that maybe it was a steering shaft and nut box problem. Sure enough the nut box had broken and the ball bearings had all come out through the tubes that are bolted to top of nut box. I ordered a shaft and nut box assembly part number 8n 3575B. When my mechanic was getting ready to install it he noticed that the spiral with the nut box attached was about 1 inch or more shorter than the original shaft. The total length of the new shaft is same length as old shaft but the spiral on new one is different. Also the width of the spiral bands on new shaft is narrower than old shaft. He tells me this will not work. This was aftermarket shaft and looks like every other after market shaft I have looked at. Has anyone got any suggestions? The photo shows the difference of the two shafts as I described. My tractor has serial 370496- later model.

After looking at various different suppliers I don't see anybody selling a replacement shaft and nut for the late model steering box. Every ball nut asembly I found says it replaces 8N-3575A (1948-49). I did not find anyone selling replacement assemblies for 8N-3575B (1949-52). Where did you get the shaft and what application did they list for it?

TOH

More searching and I found the 8N-3575B assemblies. I find it odd that Just 8N's doesn't list them. YT appears to be currently out of stock and it doesn't show up in teh main listing. Is this what you purchased?

8N-3575B

wml_8N3575B.jpg

TOH

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back