92 chev alternator

jhncp

Member
I'm trying to save money by not buying another alternator. It quit charging so I took it apart. One possibility is there was no continuity between a brush and the small wire terminal. (Not sure if there's suppose to be with it not running) I attached a jumper wire going out but when I wired it to the small wire it still didn't work, but when I attached it to the big battery terminal it did work. I left it charge for awhile like that and alternator was too hot to touch and was smoking a little, does a alternator normally get hot? Now the alternator works as it should without using the jumper wire, but not sure if it will still overheat. Also I figured it was too hard to put a plastic plate back in so not sure if that's important. Also I believe I mounted the back part 1 hole off or 120° but don't think that would matter.
 

Attachments

  • 20261004_143955.jpg
    20261004_143955.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_144007.jpg
    20261004_144007.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_144018.jpg
    20261004_144018.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_160752.jpg
    20261004_160752.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_160804.jpg
    20261004_160804.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_160816.jpg
    20261004_160816.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_160825.jpg
    20261004_160825.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_161609.jpg
    20261004_161609.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_161819.jpg
    20261004_161819.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20261004_162016.jpg
    20261004_162016.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sounds like you just bypassed the internal voltage regulator. 13.35 volts is low. It should be at least 14 volts when running.

Rebuild kits for most GM alternators only cost around $50 -$60 and comes with every to rebuild one with.

Yes alternators get hot. But they should not get hot enough to melt plastic.
 
That's with it idling , I believe if I rev it up it's close to 14. For $50-$60 I could buy a whole new one online if I can find one with free shipping. I'm also afraid if there's a possibility of a hard draw from bad light wiring if it could go out again , if that's possible?
 
I'd be more afraid of messing around with it, not knowing what I'm doing, and blowing up a battery from overcharging. There are millions of those pickups in wrecking yards so I'd think getting a used one at a decent price would be easy. As far as a large parasitic drain, that can be hard on both the battery and alternator due to repeatedly discharging and recharging the battery.
 
Don't know if you can still get them, but it used to be possible to get a rebuild kit for alternators. I rebuilt one some years ago, and it worked fine for several years (until the truck was wrecked, so I don't know what the ultimate life would have been).
 
I'm trying to save money by not buying another alternator. It quit charging so I took it apart. One possibility is there was no continuity between a brush and the small wire terminal. (Not sure if there's suppose to be with it not running) I attached a jumper wire going out but when I wired it to the small wire it still didn't work, but when I attached it to the big battery terminal it did work. I left it charge for awhile like that and alternator was too hot to touch and was smoking a little, does a alternator normally get hot? Now the alternator works as it should without using the jumper wire, but not sure if it will still overheat. Also I figured it was too hard to put a plastic plate back in so not sure if that's important. Also I believe I mounted the back part 1 hole off or 120° but don't think that would matter.
I'm built a many of those, from the get go I knew I was going to replace the rectifier, brushes and bearings. What else it needed I did not know till I had it completely apart. The only part I could not check was the voltage regulator. Those alts do get hot I have never seen one smoke. I ran across one that operated different than what I normally seen I would have to look at my notes to confirm what it was on. I know it was a pick-up my guess a 2000-to-2004 year model.

You are not going to guess your way through this.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top